Upload a WordPress plugin with SFTP
If a plugin update fails to install completely, or you are running into errors installing a plugin using the plugins page, you can upload it via SFTP.
- Connect to your hosting with SFTP.
- Navigate to the /wp-content/plugins folder for your WordPress site.
- Unzip your plugin zip file (if it's currently zipped) on your local computer.
- Upload the unzipped plugin to the /wp-content/plugins folder.
- If you are replacing a plugin that's already listed in /wp-content/plugins, choose to replace the existing files when uploading the new files.
- Once the upload completes, it will be available to be activated in your WordPress admin area.
- After you install a plugin, activate it from within WordPress.