Set up a 301 redirect on my WordPress site
A 301 redirect is a permanent redirect from one URL to another. This is useful if you've changed the URL of a page on your website or if you want to redirect traffic from an old page to a new one. A 301 redirect tells search engines that the page has permanently moved to a new location, which helps maintain your site's rankings. You can install and set up the Redirection plugin from the WordPress repository to add redirects to your site.
- Sign in to WordPress.
- On the left-side menu, select Plugins and then Add New.
- In the Search plugins bar, enter Redirection.
- Find the Redirection plugin, select Install Now and then Activate.
- On the left-side menu, select Tools and then Redirection.
- Select Start Setup and follow the guidance to complete the setup. For more information about each option, select Read more about this and it will lead you to the plugin developer's site.
- After you see the Installation complete notification, select Ready to begin.
- Under Add new redirection, enter source URL (old URL) and destination URL (new URL) to the corresponding fields.
- Select Add Redirect.
- (Optional) If you want to manage a redirect after it's added to your site, hover over it and select the option to Edit, Delete, Disable or Check Redirect.
- (Optional) To add another, select Add New.
After the redirect is added, visitors will be redirected to the new URL when they try to visit the old page.