Moving Your Website from Hostway to Us
Having your domain registration and hosting in the same account can make running your website easier. So, we have instructions to make the migration from Hostway to us as simple as possible.
Currently, Hostway has the files for your website and your domain name points toward the hosting account you have with them. To use us as your host you must:
- Set up your hosting account with us.
- Download your website's files from Hostway.
- Upload your files to us.
- Preview your website.
- Point your domain name's DNS to us.
Completing all of these steps can take up to 48 hours, but generally only requires about 1 hour's worth of work from you.
Set Up Your Hosting Account with Us
No matter what kind of hosting account you purchased with us, you can set it up using Set up your Web & Classic Hosting account.
Download Your Website's Files from Hostway
Because Hostway currently has your website's files, you must access that account to download them.
To Download Your Website's Files from Hostway
- Go to sitecontrol.hostway.com.
- Enter your Username and Password, and then click Login.
- From the Quick Access Tools section, click FTP.
- Next to the Master Account, in the Actions column, click Launch FTP.
- Accept and run any Java applications.
- Select all of your website's files on the right (this is your hosting account). You can do this by clicking any of your files, and then pressing CTRL (Windows®) or command (Mac) + A.
- Click the folder on the left (this is your local computer) you want to use.
Note: If you want to make a new folder, click Mkdir, enter a name for the directory, and then click OK.
- Click (Download).
Depending on the size if your site, this can take several minutes.
Upload Your Website's Files to Us
Now you need to move the files from your computer to your hosting account with us. We've got the process outlined in FTP: Upload my files to cPanel hosting.
Preview Your Website
To make sure your website works on your new hosting account, check out Preview your website.
Point Your Domain Name's DNS to Us
Once you verify your website works, you need to point your domain name to your new hosting account with us. Get the details in Change nameservers for my domains.
You probably want the instructions in the section labeled Setting Nameservers for a Domain Name Registered with Us.
However, if your domain name is not registered with us, see Setting Nameservers for a Domain Name Registered Elsewhere and Hosted with Us.