Move my content from Website Builder version 6 to Website Builder
Your website is your home online, and we realize that moving your home (or any change) can be disruptive. We built this tool to help you settle into your new home as fast and easy as possible.
Follow these steps to move your website content from Website Builder version 6 to Website Builder:
- Start the process
- Verify your category and site name
- Compare your new and old site
- Customize your content (theme, homepage header, text, images, sections and other pages)
- Publish your new site
Can’t find your website? Your website is still in My Account in your list of sites under Website Builder. Read the full answer.
Note: Your site will be called Website Builder followed by your plan name (e.g., Website Builder Standard). Previously, your site contained Website Builder in your plan name title (e.g., Business Plus Website Builder). However, your site URL remains the same.
We've recorded a demo moving a site from Website Builder version 6 to Website Builder so you can see how it's done.
1. Start the process
There are two ways to begin moving your site:
- Email: You’ll receive an email with a personalized link from GoDaddy. Select the button in your email, and sign in to your GoDaddy account. If you don’t receive an email, check the email account in your profile account settings. Or it might have accidentally gotten moved into your email Trash or Spam folder.
- Your site: Go to your GoDaddy product page. Scroll to Website Builder and select Manage next to the website you want to change. When your site opens, select the option to upgrade your site.
As soon as you select the option, we begin preparing your new site.
- We move all of your pages, images and other content into your new site.
- Behind the scenes, we set up connections so that when you do publish your new site at the end of this process, your site name and search engine rankings are preserved.
2. Verify your category and site name
The first two questions we ask are for you to verify your site name and choose a category.
Your category helps us know what kind of site you are. In Website Builder, you have an Insight score that shows how you compare with other sites in your same category. And we give you personalized suggestions on how to improve.
You can change the category and site name at any time in Settings > Basic Information in your Website Builder website builder.
3. Compare your new and old site
As you’re building your new site in Website Builder, it may be useful to review the content in your Website Builder version 6 site and copy any content (like a table) that wasn't imported.
In your new site, select Website Builder, and then select Website Builder V6.
Your old site opens in a new tab. Use the tabs to switch back and forth between your old site and your new site.
4. Customize your content
Depending on the size and complexity of your site, this could take an hour or two or it could take a few days. The most important piece of advice is to keep it simple! Start small and make improvements over time.
4.1 Choose a theme
If you’re a visual person, you may want to update your theme first so it’s easier to see what your header image or video, text, and action buttons look like. You can change your theme at any time.
Or you can skip this step and come back to it later when you check up on your visual brand (logo, favicon, color, font, etc.)
- Select Theme in your website builder.
- All the themes are named. Take note of your current theme name, in case you want to change back or consider different options.
- Select Try a new look to see how your website looks in a variety of themes. Once you select a theme, that theme is applied. Selecting a theme also automatically creates a save point if you want to restore your website. Any time you want, come back here to change your theme.
Updating your homepage header image (or video) and text sets the tone for your entire site.
Header image or video
Update your header image or header video to represent your business. If you’re a plumber in Seattle, show pipes being fixed, wrenches, or a faucet or drain. Don’t show a scenic image of the Space Needle; your image should represent who you are and what you do.
Select Cover Media, and then select Change image. Upload your own photo or video, or use one of our royalty-free stock images or videos. When you're finished editing your image or video and alt text, select Done.
Note: The library of stock images in Website Builder is different, larger, and better curated than the stock images from Website Builder version 6. Any stock images from your old site will need to be replaced.
Header text and button
Your header should contain the elements of an effective small business website home page. Use your promise or solution as your Headline, and then add a few sentences about your business to the Paragraph.
Finally, use a strong verb on your action button like “Start for Free” or “Reserve your spot” telling people what to do (or how to contact you). Then direct the action button link to a specific place on your website or to another URL (like a social media page).
Text in text blocks have been copied over by page into the Importer. After you copy the text, this is a good time to update any out-of-date information.
Note: Text in special elements, such as tables, aren’t copied over. Manually copy the text from your old site and then switch tabs to your new site and paste it here.
- Select Importer.
- Select the page that had your text from the menu.
- Find and select the text you want to copy. Selecting a block of text automatically copies it to your clipboard.
- Select the section in your new site. Paste the text (Ctrl/Cmd + V or right click + Paste) into the new location, either directly into the page or into the editor on the right.
All of your uploaded images are located in your Media Library under My Uploads. Either access your media library by changing any image in your website, or select My Photos from the Dashboard.
Note: If you have a large number of images, it may take a few minutes after beginning the import process for all of your images to appear.
- Select any image in your new website editor.
- Select Change image.
- Select My Uploads.
- Select any of your images. Or use stock media, an image from social media or media from your other websites.
Pictures that are part of your Website Builder V6 site will migrate to your new Website Builder site. However, you may have inserted images from a standalone photo album. Here’s how to tell the difference and download pictures from a standalone photo album.
4.5 Add and move sections
Use the Contact Us section to show your address and location, hours, email, phone number and WhatsApp information. Customers can even submit a form, including attachments. When a customer completes the form, we scan it for viruses and malware and then it arrives to an email you designate.
4.6 Repeat for other pages in your website
Now that your homepage is complete, it’s time to work on other pages in your site. Most pages will be blank, although you’ll find that some specific types of pages such as About Us, Contact Us, Photo Galleries, etc. may be pre-populated with sections.
5. Publish your new site
Once your new site is ready, it’s time to select Publish. Remember, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Start small and make improvements over time.
After you publish your Website Builder version 6 site to your new Websites + Marketing site, you will not be able to access your version 6 builder or files. Make sure you have all content moved before you publish.
When you select Publish you’ll see a pop-up box. Once you publish your new site in Website Builder, your old site is removed from your account.
If your GoDaddy website is linked to a domain name through another registrar or another GoDaddy domain using a different login and password, you’ll see a pop-up box with instructions on how to update your domain name’s A record.
Select the checkbox to mark your understanding and agreement, then select Yes, publish now.
Note: We recommend that you migrate your site to Website Builder before Adobe ends Flash functionality on December 31, 2020. After that date, you won’t be able to perform certain functions in Website Builder version 6 that rely on Flash, and your site visitors may have a broken experience.
- Read freqently asked questions about Website Builder version 6 moving to Website Builder.
- If you have questions or need help during the transition, we have live webinars and recorded demos.
- Follow the Get Online series of articles to help you set up and publish your website.
- Watch How-To video courses about every aspect of your business from setting up your site and store, learning about SEO, marketing basics and growing your email list.
- Looking for inspiration? Read our blog, listen to our podcasts Made Here or School of Hustle, and check out our YouTube channel including The Journey and Made in America.
- Have more questions? Search our Help articles, ask questions in the Website Builder community, or call or chat with one of our award-winning Guides.