iWeb: Publish your website
To find information about any of these settings, see FTP: How to upload files.
When you're ready to publish your website with Apple iWeb, it helps to have the following things before you start:
- The version of Apple iWeb — How you publish your website depends on your version.
- A hosting account set up for your domain name.
Note: If you previously used your domain name for another service, see Change nameservers for my domains for help setting the nameservers for your domain to point to the hosting account.
- Your hosting account user name, password and IP address — To find information about any of these settings, see FTP: How to upload files.
How you publish your site depends on your version of iWeb. Follow these steps to find the version.
- Launch iWeb.
- From the iWeb menu, select About iWeb.
The version of iWeb displays, for example, "iWeb '08 version 2.0.4."
If you used Apple iWeb '09 to build your site, you can publish directly to your hosting account.
- Select the site you want to publish in the Site Organizer.
- In the Site Publishing Settings window, select FTP Server from the Publish to menu.
- Enter the following:
Site Name A name for your site. We recommend not using underscores, which can cause errors. Contact email A contact email address for your site. Site Name A name for your site. We recommend not using underscores, which can cause errors. Server address Your site's FTP address — e.g. ftp.coolexample.com or your hosting account's IP User name Your hosting account user name Password Your hosting account password Directory/Path Your website's directory Protocol Leave this setting at FTP. Port Leave this setting at 21. URL Your site's URL — e.g. www.coolexample.com.
- To update your Facebook profile when you publish, select Update my Facebook profile when I publish this site.
- Click Publish Site in the action bar on the bottom of the iWeb interface.
- After publishing, you can:
- Click Announce to email friends and family about the update.
- Click Visit Site Now to open the site in your Web browser.
- Click OK to close the dialog and continue working on your site.
If you used Apple iWeb '08 to build your site and want to publish it to your hosting account, use Publish to a Folder, then manually upload the files to your hosting account via FTP.
- From the File menu, select Publish to a Folder...
- In the Finder window, click Desktop on the left, and then click the New Folder button.
- Enter a name for the website, and then click Create.
- Select the new folder, and then click Choose.
- Once iWeb publishes to the folder, a confirmation message appears.
index.htmlfile, other HTML files, and folders), but not the folder itself.
Note: As a courtesy, we provide information about how to use certain third-party products, but we do not endorse or directly support third-party products and we are not responsible for the functions or reliability of such products. iWeb is a trademark of Apple Inc. We are not affiliated with, endorsed or sponsored by Apple or Apple products.