Connect my site to a domain
By default, your site's web address is based on what you named it when first setting up Website Builder — with godaddysites.com added at the end. If you want to change your website's domain (address or URL), you have a few options:
- Continue using your free domain name. In this case, you don't need to take any extra action.
- Buy a new GoDaddy domain.
- Use a GoDaddy domain you already own in your own account.
- Use an external, non-GoDaddy domain you bought from another company. This is also the process to use if you have a GoDaddy domain but using a different login and password. Connecting to a GoDaddy domain takes only a few moments, but connecting to an external non-GoDaddy domain can take up to 72 hours.
Whether you're buying a new domain, connecting to a domain you already own here, or connecting to a domain hosted elsewhere, the process begins with the same steps.
- Go to your GoDaddy product page.
- Scroll to Website Builder and select Manage next to your website to open your site.
- Select Website to see your website in Preview. You can also select Edit Website or Edit Site to open your website builder.
- Select Connect Domain next to your domain name in the preview's URL bar.
- GoDaddy suggests unused domains for you based on your keywords and how much the domain costs.
- If you'd like to look for something different, select Search for a domain. You'll buy your new domain then return here to connect it to your site.
- If you already have a domain name, select I already own a domain. Continue to the next step.
- Select Choose a domain or Change my domain to connect to another existing or external domain.
- Select Get a new domain if you change your mind and you'd like to purchase a different domain.
- If you'd like to continue using your free domain name, select the radio button next to it. Then select Save & Publish or Save.
- If you chose a domain already listed, we'll check that domain name and make it ready to connect to this site. Select Save & Publish or Save.
- If you chose a domain not shown, then type the URL of the new domain (e.g., mycoolsite.com). You don't need the https:// or www part of the URL, just your domain name and extension (.com, .net, etc.).