cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

virus in pdf file

I uploaded some pdf files so they can be downloaded from my website.

But today when I tried to download one, my Mcaffee virus protection told me I have a virus in the pdf file.  
I have some backups of these pdf files.  I deleted the ones on the website server and uploaded the old pdf files from my computer (which I checked with the same Mcaffee Virus software and were fine).

When I tried to download the files again, it gave me the same virus message.

The web browser was able to open the pdf and view it without any issues, only when I try to download it the virus software kicks in and blocks the download.

How do I make sure there is no virus alteration of my files on the server, and how do I protect against my malware being attached to my files on the server without my knowledge?

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
Super User I
Super User I

Re: virus in pdf file

@aiautomata, can you send a screenshot of the McAfee alert you are getting?

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

Here is the screen shot

Img_8688.jpg

Super User I
Super User I

@aiautomata, looks like McAfee Web Advisor has marked your website as a dangerous website. It could be because of multiple factors, but you can dispute it with McAfee to get that removed.

Go here: https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?articleId=TS100806 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***

here is what I see when I run the site report on the main domain, local url, and the pdf file link url.

site report.jpg

I have verified my website, but still have the virus issue with the pdf file.

site status.jpg 

Super User I
Super User I

@aiautomata, very strange I would have to say then. Especially if you ran the scan on the .pdf URL as well. 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

for some reason, the pdf will download now without tripping the virus message,  not sure what happened, maybe I registered the website with McAfee?

is it possible for a virus to attach to the files I host on the server without my knowledge?  If so is there any way to protect against it?

Super User I
Super User I
Solution

After you submitted your website to McAfee it could have took a few for replication to catch up, so that is why it took a few to finally say clean.

It is possible. GoDaddy does offer Website security that affordable (to me atleast ). Check it out here, https://www.godaddy.com/web-security/website-security

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis