cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

phpBB and SMTP

I need help setting up SMTP on phpBB (which I installed through cPanel) so I, as webmaster, and the registered users, can get email notifications.

For phpBB's email options, I've set the SMTP server to localhost and the port to 25 as specified in this message. However, my emails aren't being sent, and when I view the error log, I see this:

Backtrace
Connecting to localhost:25
LINE: 1205 <- 220-a2plcpnl0376.prod.iad2.secureserver.net ESMTP Exim 4.92 #2 Sun, 14 Jul 2019 23:22:30 -0700 
LINE: 1205 <- 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited, 
LINE: 1205 <- 220 and/or bulk e-mail. 

Is there a way to get SMTP to work? 

3 REPLIES 3
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: phpBB and SMTP

@CrouchingBruin 

Don't rely on SMTP unless you own the SMTP server with a dedicated "safe" IP...

Otherwise, it may just get blocked or marked as a spam.

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com

I'm curious then, what is the alternative solution that is available? Thanks. I'm running into the same errors causing users of my discussion board to miss important notifications. 

EDIT: Actually I'm receiving a different error. Apologies. Perhaps the solutions would be similar. Thanks for your advice. I'm running phpBB using "localhost." 

Ran into problems sending email at Line 1205. Response: 421 Too many concurrent SMTP connections; please try again later.
Backtrace
Connecting to localhost:25
LINE: 1205 <- 421 Too many concurrent SMTP connections; please try again later.

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

@profKroy @CrouchingBruin 

Use services like SendMail, MailChimp, SendGrid etc... They have free tier that are in the thousands.

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com