cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Moving from Standard to Deluxe Hosting

I own three domains (lets call them A, B and C). All three are Linux servers.

I have upgraded hosting for site A from standard to deluxe hosting earlier this week.

Site B and C are both Standard hosting and expiring very soon. I have deleted the Standard hosting for site B and want to move it to the Deluxe hosting server.

That is where I have got lost! Can anyone point me to documentation that gives me step by step instructions on how to move domain B to be hosted on the deluxe server that hosts site A and set up my CMS (websitebaker) for domain B. I am very keen that there is no impact on site A which is also a websitebaker CMS.

Thank You!

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Moving from Standard to Deluxe Hosting

Hi @TheZim. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! Before I address your question, I just wanted to note that when you host multiple domains on a single hosting plan, all the sites will utilize the same resources for the account. You'll want to make sure your sites are optimized for a Shared Hosting environment if you will be hosting multiple sites on a single plan. 

If you want to move sites from hosting plan to another, you'll need to:

1. Back up the site content and move it to the new account
  2. Cancel the previous plan (or otherwise free the domain from it).
  3. Add the domain to the new hosting plan as an addon 

I hope this helps.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Thank you. my SECOND attempt at a reply as the site failed to accept my first reply...

I THINK I worked out how to move the domain using another post on this community that was a few years old. The screen shots they used were of a very old version of cPanel.

I was fairly happy I had it resolved until you mentioned "You'll want to make sure your sites are optimized for a Shared Hosting environment if you will be hosting multiple sites on a single plan". I have absolutely no idea what this achieves let alone any idea of how to do it!

Is there anywhere that will give me some ideas about what this means and some clues how to actually do it (optimise my shared hosting environment).I can find lots about shared hosting but nothing that goes anywhere close to suggesting how to optimise!

As feedback and not criticism; GoDaddy could do better in terms of documentation! Surely it isn't hard to document basic and more advanced techniques (such as the need to move a domain and / or set up shared hosting) using screen shots that relate to the version of cPanel that customers use? This would really help customers and save a lot of unnecessary worry and stress. My guess is it would also reduce the time technical support spend on the phone (and time costs money)....

Community Manager
Community Manager

@TheZim - Sorry for any confusion. Based on the way you had described the situation, I thought you would understand what I meant. Essentially, optimizing a website to function on Shared Hosting means that the site is configured to use as few resources as possible. Websites that use server-side scripting (like PHP) often use more resources than websites that have static content (like HTML). If you're not sure what kind of content you have, then you may want to contact your web developer or perhaps share your sites here so others can take a look. 

Thanks for the feedback regarding our help documentation. We're constantly working to add new product and update what is already there. To that point, we are in the process of updating the cPanel articles to reflect what the interface now looks like. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Ah, got you this time. I suspected you meant that but wanted to check you didn't mean anything in terms of folder lay our etc. I use a CMS, so yes, I have PHP scripts running and use the SQL databases. However, I would expect to run up to 10 small sites (ie. not e-commerce or with thousands of hits per site, per minute) without a noticeable hit on performance! Otherwise, why did I pay for deluxe hosting, right?

My 3 sites don't attract many visitors (that is not what they are for) and page impressions should be minimal as each page requires time and concentration rather than a quick glance and move on. IF I did a bigger site, then I would contact GoDaddy to see if it would be wise to dedicate a hosting server to the task.

I have one more site to move over and I will attempt to screen shot the process and dump them back on here n case it helps anyone else trying to achieve the same.

Thank you for your clarifications!

Community Manager
Community Manager

@TheZim - I'm sure that sharing your further experience here will help others. Thanks for being so thoughtful!

One further point of clarification. While the amount of traffic a site receives can definitely affect performance, the larger issue is usually how well your sites/applications perform (a CMS would be considered an application). For instance, from the resources article I linked to earlier you can see that a Deluxe cPanel hosting plan has 512MB of RAM (the same that you get on an Economy plan). Let's say you have 5 sites on the same account and each requires 500 MB of RAM to perform certain actions. As long as all five sites don't require those resources at the same time, everything will be fine. If multiple sites try to access the memory at the same time, you would see errors. However, in the same scenario, sites/applications that are well built and require far less memory could all function simultaneously without difficulty. 

The primary thing you get when upgrading from Economy to Deluxe is the ability to host multiple domains/subdomains and unlimited storage space. This is fine for sites that do not have high resource requirements, but you can run into trouble if that isn't the case. If that happens, you might consider upgrading your resources.