cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I

Linux possibilities

My site runs on Linux but I'm not experienced using Linux.  I can use cPanel like anyone else but are there things I can do outside of cPanel?  I can spell SSH but have never used it.  Can you point me to some documentation?

2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Linux possibilities

Hey @alharlow. I'm sure others (like @MrVapor ) would be able to answer this more adequately than myself, but I can point you to a few resources. 

I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Linux possibilities

Hey there @alharlow,

SSH is a more advanced way of interacting with the Linux command shell instead of using a GUI like cPanel to control it. There are a LOT of things you can do from the command line, including things that may break your site if you're not careful. 

I would suggest looking at the links @JesseW provided and doing a bit of research on the subject. Most things can be taken care of from the cPanel interface itself and I recommend using that if you don't know how use the command line. You can do some really neat things in there, though. For example, using the wp-cli can be amazing. More information here.

I would say just be careful. Make backups before making changes. Do some research and see if you actually need to use SSH for anything.

Best Regards,

Joe

Check out my site! | My Garage Articles | Portfolio/Resume

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT PROVIDE ANSWERS VIA PM. If you would like personalized help, you can see my pricing on my services page. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!

Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community