cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Index.php giving HTTP 500 Error

Hi all,

I'm newer to GoDaddy and CPanel hosting. I've learned from playing around. In my college course we are studying this and I use this to implement. I need to find out why when I changed my index.html to index.php, my page will no longer load. 

HELP!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Index.php giving HTTP 500 Error

Hi @ironjuan92,

Possibly because you have not activated PHP on your site. The '.php' tells the server to look for PHP code in that page, there doesn't actually have to be any PHP code, it should still display. I often do this because sooner or later I add some PHP to the pages. 

Another reason could be broken links if it's anything but a hand coded site......... The links that once pointed to and opened your index.html page, now point to nothing!

UNLESS you are actually going to add some hand coded PHP to your pages, in which case it needs the extension, I would change it back. 

Cat Very Happy “I must politely inform you that I am NOT a Godaddy employee, just a freelance developer trying to help out a little when I can. Have a nice day!” Cat Very Happy

How does one "activate" PHP on CPanel?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ironjuan92,

Just login, go to manage hosting and from the cPanel display if you scroll down you should see the PHP settings :-)

It's a while since I logged into a cPanel though, but I don't think it's changed much. Let me know how you get along.

edit @ironjuan92,

Also make sure that your index.php file is all lower case, linux is case sensitive and Index.php will not run.

If you continue having problems then please reach out to support:

https://www.godaddy.com/contact-us.aspx

Cat Very Happy “I must politely inform you that I am NOT a Godaddy employee, just a freelance developer trying to help out a little when I can. Have a nice day!” Cat Very Happy