• GoDaddy Community
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers
  • VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Cannot stream videos

Hello , first of all , I'm very new to these topics , got poor english and also I'm not sure if this is the right forum section for this question , sorry for that. My problem is , I can't stream videos uploaded to my server. Storage path is a directory in my domain name, like this : mygodaddydomain.com/videos/ .  I would like to play those videos in my android application but it waits like 10-20 seconds before playing a video ( I guess the app is downloading it? ) . I want my app to play the video immedietly. I think that is called streaming , playing the video while downloading at the same time. How can I achieve this? 

Additional information: I am sure that there is nothing wrong with the video format. It's mp4 , h264 baseline encoded. So it's mobile-friendly. ( Just in case it isn't , I tried different formats too)

I tried playing videos other than the ones in my server . My app play those just fine.

I can play my videos in PC browser.

Any help/suggestion is appreciated . Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
    Helper V

Re: Cannot stream videos

@soad130 wrote:

Hello , first of all , I'm very new to these topics , got poor english and also I'm not sure if this is the right forum section for this question , sorry for that. My problem is , I can't stream videos uploaded to my server. Storage path is a directory in my domain name, like this : mygodaddydomain.com/videos/ .  I would like to play those videos in my android application but it waits like 10-20 seconds before playing a video ( I guess the app is downloading it? ) . I want my app to play the video immedietly. I think that is called streaming , playing the video while downloading at the same time. How can I achieve this? 

Additional information: I am sure that there is nothing wrong with the video format. It's mp4 , h264 baseline encoded. So it's mobile-friendly. ( Just in case it isn't , I tried different formats too)

I tried playing videos other than the ones in my server . My app play those just fine.

I can play my videos in PC browser.

Any help/suggestion is appreciated . Thanks in advance

@soad130

Hello there,

First off you have very good english!!

Second do you really want to pay for folks to stream videos? It just gobbles up your money as fast as they stream......

If you are set on doing this have you chosen a player yet to install? A player needs to be installed before any video can be streamed from your server. Inside your web page right? Hopefully you are not on a shared platform? You have bought your own vps with plenty of juice? Placed the videos into your public folder?

Otherwise why not upload to, oh say youtube. Place the embed code into your website?  Then you do not have to worry about the player or all the juice streaming is going to use from your server?

Again your english is very good! I just hope I understood your question correct 🙂

Wish you well and hope this gave you things to think about?

Coralie

Mrsroadrunner Photography

Thanks for answer. I don't know if I use a shared platform . My godaddy host is a linux host with c-panel. I didn't buy anything else. Videos directory is in file system public-html. I didn't choose a player to install , I dont know what that is. My app is something like vine. Users capture a video , the video is sent to my godaddy server "videos" directory. And they should be able to watch those uploaded videos. So when I try to watch one of these videos in my app , I actually can , except I have to wait 10-30 seconds . What I need is: Videos must start as user selects it. I'm not really sure but I heard that is called streaming. Could you please guide me on this? thanks 

Helper V

@soad130

@soad130 wrote:

Thanks for answer. I don't know if I use a shared platform . My godaddy host is a linux host with c-panel. I didn't buy anything else. Videos directory is in file system public-html. I didn't choose a player to install , I dont know what that is. My app is something like vine. Users capture a video , the video is sent to my godaddy server "videos" directory. And they should be able to watch those uploaded videos. So when I try to watch one of these videos in my app , I actually can , except I have to wait 10-30 seconds . What I need is: Videos must start as user selects it. I'm not really sure but I heard that is called streaming. Could you please guide me on this? thanks 

Hi there,

Oh so you are saying the buffering time takes to long?

What I did is contacted my internet provider, I heard they upgraded the service with faster speeds so I told them to upgrade me asap to the fastest thing they have and add it to my bill. Such things as waiting time ..... what waiting time?

Computers have to talk to each other, in your instance your phone has to, "talk" with your server. This sometimes causes a delay, "except I have to wait 10-30 seconds", well if other people are trying to stream that video along with you, (right you are opening your videos up to the public), there is  ...... well, buffering is going to take time. There is what 7.4 Billion people on this earth. If you get just a few of those people on your server watching your videos, my lordy that is going to slow your streaming videos down, buffering will take longer...... if you do not shut down your server completely.

Since you started this project have you been looking at your stats and usage? Find a godaddy customer service rep and ask them for the fastest service they have. Then you may not see this buffering of 10-30 seconds.

Mrsroadrunner Photography
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

@soad130 wrote:

Thanks for answer. I don't know if I use a shared platform . My godaddy host is a linux host with c-panel. I didn't buy anything else. Videos directory is in file system public-html.

How big are these media files you're trying to play? With a 10-20 second delay I suspect it may be a size issue (videos aren't compressed) paired with a bandwidth issue (Linux cPanel hosting isn't ideal for a media server).

Helper V

See How to Stream Video: It's Easier Than You Think. I don't know how helpful it is but it looks relevant.

Since this is not a developer question, you might get more help in the Hosting forum.

New

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

I spent some time on the phone with you the other day. Here is what we found out.

Please visit: http://phizcentral.com/cornerstonefleetservices.com/

Refresh the page about 4 to 6 times and you will get the error.

The error happens on multiple ISP's and multiple browsers. It is not a local problem so please don't try to skirt the issue. We are trying to find out why this particular website software is losing connection while loading.

Please visit the link and do the refresh until you get the error then you can test why you are getting the error. I have a sneaky suspicion it is your mod_security based on many other forums that stay mad at you on a regular basis. I'm not mad, I just need an answer so we can correct any code needed to actually work on your servers. I really don't want to switch hosting. Please help.

Please refresh the link until you get the error. 

Did you get any solution for this question?  I face the same issue on linux shared host.