cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Wordpress clone not working

Using Godaddy clone app, I cloned a wordpress site that was in a subdirectory ("2017") to another subdirectory ("2018"). In file manager I can see that all of the files appear to have copied just fine (file size of directories matches). But when I logged in to new cloned wordpress site in 2018 directory, there are no pages or media files showing in wordpress, just a blank site with typical sample page of a new wp installation. So it's apparently not connecting to cloned database? Any ideas before I delete clone site and try again?

3 REPLIES 3
Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: Wordpress clone not working

@telemark

Would have to "see" to know for sure...  I'm not big on clone tools.

Since you mention only pages and media files are what are missing you can try to export them from the old site (Tools > Export) and download that XML file.  Then import into the new site (Tools > Import) and upload the XML file from the 2017 site and avoid having to start over.

If you don't want to rely on the clone tool, there are plugins for this process too!

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
"Worry is a misuse of imagination." ~Unknown
Solution

Thanks Judith

I actually figured out the problem. The database name/password and table prefix in the GD installatron app were different than what was in my wp-config file. Changed them in clone app to match and the clone worked perfectly. I'll bookmark your website so if I ever need help again.

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

@telemark

Whoo-hoo!  Glad to hear you figured it out! Smiley Wink

Judith
"Worry is a misuse of imagination." ~Unknown