cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Where to find Wordpress folders on server

I'm looking for my content(images) that I've uploaded. I've gone through the "File Manager" on GoDaddy and can't seem to locate them. They are just the standard Wordpress files... what am I missing?

7 REPLIES 7
Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI

Re: Wordpress folders on server

Images will be under /wp-content/uploads, and organized by year and month. 

Lisa, thank you but I have no folder called uploads.

First let me state that I have been contracted to due some updates for a client, so I did not set up the original site. Second, I'm weak when it comes to Wordpress. Third, I've been developing sites for my clients since 2001 so I do feel comfortable around an FTP site or CMS.

Thank you once again for your time and help.

Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI
Solution

@SirBubba, I don't know what else to tell you. That's where images go if you upload them in WordPress.  I have built about 200 WordPress sites, pretty sure that's where images are on all of them.

If you did not create the site, and someone else uploaded the images via FTP, it's certainly possible that they put them in another directory, but wp-content/uploads is the standard -- so it is unclear why they would choose another one.

Is it possible that the permissions on that folder are wrong, so you can't see it?

Also, if it's a very old version of WordPress, maybe an update will fix it (be sure to run a backup first). 

And finally, I wonder if there is a plug-in that is somehow hiding this folder?

There are other WordPress developers on this forum, maybe someone else has an idea.

Thank you Lisa. I have also wondered about hidden folders and such that you have mentioned. The folder locations shown by Wordpress when editing basic info do not show up on the server. The previous developer had also modified the twenty-eleven template which is not visible as well. I'm stuck with just being able to modify basic content. I'm looking into the apps now and have found a couple that might be the issue... thanks and I will reply if found.

New

Lisa,

how do i find the wp-content/themes/ folder on my GoDaddy server? I know the IP address, but am reticent to post it here.

Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI

If you use FTP to log into the server, there is a folder named wp-content in the root directory of the WordPress installation. If you then open that folder, the themes directory is right there.

What kind of hosting package do you have? If it's cPanel, you can also get to files through the file manager in the hosting dashboard.

New

hi,

this folder resides within your /public_html/ folder, like /public_html/wp-content/ does

I had to call my web host (GoDaddy support) to find this out.