cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Unable to create new site in WordPress Multisite

Hi there,

I have just set up WP Multisite but am unable to create a new site.

I have been through the set-up process here:

https://au.godaddy.com/help/enabling-wordpress-multisites-6143

And added the required code to wp-config and .htaccess files in File Manager.

I then followed the setup process within the Network Admin, and from here everything looks fine. The problem is I just cannot create a new site. On creating and saving, the new site address and wp-admin pages have the following error:

“This site can’t be reached

xxxxx.xxxxxx.com’s server IP address could not be found.

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

There must be a setting somewhere I have obviously missed. Could anyone help?

Thanks so much in advance.

Guy

6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Unable to create new site in Multisite

Hi @bower7. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! My guess would be that your domain's DNS isn't set up to facilitate this connection. You'll want to add a DNS record that will point your new sites to the IP of your hosting plan. The most common way to do this is to add an A Record for the subdomain that points to the IP address of the hosting plan. For example, if you have a new site at site1.mydomain.com, you'll need to add an A Record for "site1" that points to the same IP as your primary A Record (@). Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Hi Jesse,

Thank you so much! Smiley Happy

Guy

New

Hi Jesse,

I can see how to add the A record, but I'm unsure what specifically I have to put in the 'Host' and 'Points to' fields. May I ask how do I work this out?

Thank you,

Guy

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bower7. Before you do that, another thing you may need to do is add the subdomain to your hosting plan. That sometimes creates the record for you and must be done before the hosting plan will accept traffic from the subdomain. What kind of hosting plan is this for? 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Hi Jesse,

It's a Deluxe WordPress plan (not to be confused with the Deluxe Managed WordPress plan).

Guy

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

@bower7 - I see. If it's on an older WordPress plan, that is the same as our Web Hosting platform. You'll want to add your subdomain using the steps in this article. That may add the A Record for you.