cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble making some parts of my WordPress site private

I want to have an initial menu is public like the about me page and an FAQ page and a contact page.  Hover, I need the page where people can view premium content I need that locked unless they have registered for a free account. I can't seem to figure out a way to do it. Any suggestions? A post where this has been answered already? I saw a few plugins but nothing that that open source free and did exactly what I wanted it do. 

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Trouble making some parts of my site private

Hi @renrawfilms

How you would do this would depend on what you're using to build your website. Given that you mentioned "plugins", are you using WordPress? Knowing that would likely help others give you a better idea of what can be done.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW, Yes. Sadly I am using wordpress. I say sadly because some times, because some plugins can make things more difficult and if you accidently delete the wrong plug in youwill regret it. . Ive gotten the part worked out where you can make some pages accessible only by registering, but now I have accidently deleted a plug in that made different menus for different pages and I can not get it fixed back to the way it was. smh

and to make matters worse, I keep getting erros saying that the site can not be reached when I try to update anything.  Is godaddy have trouble or is it wordpress? 

Helper V

In WordPress have you looked at the available plugins? When I go to Plugins then click on "Add New" I get a page listing featured plugins. Look at BuddyPress; is it the type of thing you are looking for?

Community Manager
Community Manager

@renrawfilms. Glad you got the private site option figured out. That was going to be my next suggestion. If you are hosted on a Manged WordPress account, you could try restoring your site to prior to when deleted the plugin. This article explains how to do that. If not, I can't think of a way to recover other than if you had your own backup or just reinstalling/reconfiguring the plugin as @SamHobbs suggested. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.