cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Moving or Switching Wordpress on a GoDaddy hosted name to another GoDaddy domain

Originally I purchased one domain with hosting and after using Wordpress on that domain, I created another domain (without hosting). What I would like is to switch them. The new domain would be the one with hosting. 

Will it cost me anything to do this?

I imagine that all I would need to do is change the site address in the Wordpress config after it is done.

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Moving or Switching Wordpress on a GoDaddy hosted name to another GoDaddy domain

Hi @Marikc0, thanks for posting.

You can change the domain name associated with your hosting plan at any time. If you were using Managed WordPress, the service will automatically update the WordPress files with the new domain. If you are using cPanel or another hosting service with a manual install of WordPress, you would need to manually update the WordPress files to use the new domain name.

There is no cost or charge to change the domain name on your hosting plan.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

Re: Moving or Switching Wordpress on a GoDaddy hosted name to another GoDaddy domain

Hello, could you tell me how to switch it over? I've looked in cpanel and settings and couldn't find an option. Thanks for your reply. Smiley Happy

Solution

Alright, I figured out how to move it. Found the option. Just having a few issues with Wordpress now with some URLs not working correctly.

Since moving the domain, now my image URLs in Wordpress are pointing to URLs such as this:

http://aimlesswander.info/aimlesswander.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/IMG_20160207_212822-676x901.jpg

And I can't access /wp-admin due to a 404.

Solution

Fixed.

Thanks for following up @Marikc0.

I'm glad you were able to get this sorted out.

Feel free to use to Community again if you run into any other issues or questions.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

Moving or Switching Wordpress on a GoDaddy hosted name to another GoDaddy domain

I purchased my domain on GoDaddy and also Managed Wordpress.

I have been building my site using a temporary domain supplied by GoDaddy Managed Wordpress hosting.

I will be ready to publish my website to the real domain (which I have never used and is still parked over in the Domain part of my GoDaddy account).

How do I move the site onto the permanent domain?

Do I need to move the domain into the hosting portion of my account?

How do I do this? I only find instructions for a non-registered domain.

I'm not a web-designer or developer. I've just had trouble finding someone to help me, so I did it on my own. Thanks for helping me get unstuck!

Cara

RESOLVED!

An angel named Ashley heard my not-so-silent prayer. The chat box popped up... "how can I help you?"

She figured out that my issue was that the old website builder was still active in my account... making it impossible for the Managed Wordpress area to offer my domain as an option.

OK, but what do I do?

She gave me step 1-2-3.... all fixed! <3

New

I just purchased a domain name on GoDaddy and I have forwarded it to the free wordpress.com site. I now want to buy "mapping" for a year on Wordpress, but they only offer the whole "plan" (premium) instead of the 13 EUR annually mapping plan. How do I purchase only the mapping and not the hosting with it? Thank you!

New

Re: Mapping Wordpress on a GoDaddy hosted name to another GoDaddy domain

Solved it: I needed to click on "redirect" rather than "map"!!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @AT13th. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! Glad you were able to get this figured out. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Have you tried assessing your admin using:

http://aimlesswander.info/admin

?

WordPress Credential issues

Good Evening,

I have been trying to migrate my WP site from the .com to the godaddy self hosted for almost a week, on and off.

On this page:

"Migrate an existing site To access the site we need its WordPress credentials."

I put in my wordpress domain which is the free one 

"www.ourpreemiefamily.wordpress.com"

then I go to put in my user name and password for WP.com, and it says (EVERY TIME) 

"Invalid WordPress admin username or password."

I have changed my password 3 times and this is getting ridiculous, has anyone had this issue, I am waiting to hear back from WP but that is taking forever..

Please help

So where was the option?