cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Moving WordPress site from Godaddy subdomain to root folder

I currently have a Word Press website in my domain's root folder. I wanted to be able to experiment freely in order to design a new site so I created a subdomain and installed a new WP instance. The subdomain site is about ready so I started looking around at how I could just move it. Plenty of directions on how to backup and then load your site but I saw in one of the help directories a simple "move" option for word press.  Am I correct in reading that I can delete the wordpress instance in my root directory (gulp) and then move the wordpress instance that is in the subdomain folder into that newly freed up root folder and (aside from updating links/permalinks) I would be good to go?

9 REPLIES 9
Helper V
Helper V
Solution

Re: Moving WP site from Godaddy subdomain to root folder

First off I would recommend you update your wordpress to the latest version. After you update you should backup both  wordpress installs. Once you have a backup you can uninstall wordpress from the root then use the move option for the subdomain wordpress site and move it to the root. Installatron should take care of updating all links to the new location. Any issues you have no worries as you have backups and can restore the backup.

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Hi @barreaud,

I noticed a "big gulp"!  I use a tool called UpDraftPlus (under the GoDaddy preferred partners).  It has an outstanding migration tool in addition to the automated backups.  If you doing a lot of developing and changing on multiple sites you might want to look into it!  Backups have save me so many times in doing these wp migrations. 

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Thank you very much, James! I will look into it!

Unable to launch website

Hi,

I have built my place in Wordpress, and now when I go to my url www.nosgustaopinar.com this message appears

If you're the site owner, log in to launch this site

But if you go to www.nosgustaopinar.com/wordpress the site appears. I have tried to move all the files from httpdocs/wordpress to httpdocs, but still is not working.

I have contacted with 4 agents already, and apparently they know nothing (at least they told me that, I don't know exactly what they are in the chat if they have no knowledge at all).

I really appreciate any help,

many thanks

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Re: Unable to launch website

Hi @ladynukay,

It looks like your wp installation went to a folder instead of the root for the domain.  It looks like you have not yet started with your content. IF this is the case, just install wordpress again except make sure that you install it into the root folder.

I'm guessing that you are using the cPanel and Installatron.  Once again, if this is the case, be sure to read the installation dialogues carefully and it will tell you how to install into the root.

If you have anymore problems let us know!

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Re: Unable to launch website

hello James,

I have reseted the server, and installed all again in the root, but still not working, and now I can't log in into Plesk (so I can't see the changes I'm doing, I don't get why you need to log in into plesk to see the changes you are doing in wordpress). I have installed wordpress before in another hosting, having any problen at all.

I've been 3 days in this hosting and all are problems, Install wordpress is so easy, that I dont understand why I'm having all this issues.

Really is pissing me off

New

Custom Permalink is not working

In my local environment, the custom permalink by post name ( %postname%)  is work normally but it not work when hosting in GoDaddy unless I changed it to Default. Please help.

New

I also encounter with this problem even my wordpress is latest version.

Moving Wordpress to a new subdirectory

Okay... so I probably should have asked this forum *before* doing this. But I have a website I want to convert to Wordpress at http://onburningground.com/. I was playing around with Wordpress on a subdomain that I made as a sandbox http://onburningground.com/s. Now that the new Wordpress site is ready to go I tried to move all the wp-admin etc. files into the webroot, and hoped that this would migrate it... unfortunately, it didn't and now I'm stuck with a Wordpress installation on the root directory that has unspecified "errors." My photos, pages, uploads, etc. can be found in the File Manager, but when I got to http://onburningground.com/wp-admin and log in, it brings me to a blank installation of Wordpress (I had installed Wordpress on the root before but not put anything on it). How do I get all my Wordpress data on /s/ to show up in wp-admin?

P.S. My client whose website it is would also like to keep the original website and link to it somewhere from the Wordpress... what's the best way to organize this?