cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Changing footer on GoDaddy WordPress theme

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I didn't find anything in my searches.

I do not want that GoDaddy footer on my page! I cannot figure out how to edit that info. I am using the Uptown Style theme. I don't need visitors to my site seeing that, either.

Anyone know how to fix this? There is no "footer" option in my Appearance menu or my Editor. Thank you!

29 REPLIES 29
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Changing footer on GoDaddy WordPress theme

Hi @caringjen. Welcome to GoDaddy Community!

The only way I know of to change something like this is by editing the themes files themselves. You can do this pretty easily by accessing your dashboard and then going to Appearance > Editor. From there, you can make sure you're on the theme from the drop-down menu in the upper right, then click "Stylesheet (style.css). You should see something that looks like this:

Author: GoDaddy
Author URI: https://www.godaddy.com/

If you change the Author and Author URI, that may change the information displayed in your footer. You may also consider creating a child theme, if that's possible, and make edits there. That way, any updates that are made to the parent theme won't affect modifications you've made. There are plugins that can automatically create a child theme. 

If that doesn't help, please post an update here. Others may be able to give you additional suggestions. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks for the ideas, but those steps didn't change anything.  Smiley Sad

I can't find that particular footer info anywhere in the code.

with editing css file you can not change the php

Please help me remove footer credit

Please help me remove footer credit like this

Copyright © 2016 Kohli Tents Pitampura, Patel Nagar Sanjeev 9810200444 — Stout theme by

I want to remove this — Stout theme by

on my website http://www.kohlitenthouse.com

Employee
Employee

Re: Please help me remove footer credit

Hi @sanjeevkohliten!

Welcome to our community! As far as I'm aware, the scripting for this is in the Edit Themes pane. If you're unsure how to edit this scripting, you can find guides using your favorite search engine. Here's the search I conducted.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
New

I use the Lyrical theme, and this advice was not helpful. When you go to Appearance -> Editor, as suggested by some sites from your search, they point to a footer.php file, but is not part of the GoDaddy themes. Instead, the GoDaddy themes seem to inherit from a parent them called Primer. This has a footer.php file, but in there, it does not have the explicit text that we are looking for to change, but rather, a set of function calls. This is like a rabbit hole, and it would be very helpful if GoDaddy actually gave more specific instructions for changing the footer of their themes.

Still no solution to remove the "by GoDaddy" tag on the footer? I'm trying to remove it from my Velux themed website. I will not be using GoDaddy's themes ever again if I can't remove it.

use this code in your override css file .site-info-wrapper .site-info-text { color: #252525; display: none; }

Hello pricelessboy, thank you for the help. The copyright was removed. However, if I wanted to retain the footer text but I want to delete the "godaddy" text on it. 

You should be able to go to you style.ss folder, and at the top, you'll need to swap out Godaddy and the relevant URL's in order to make sure the "Action Functions" that call on "Author/URL" call out your new information and pull that new info into your footer. Another easier way is using a plugin, "Remove Footer".  Cpanel is the easiest. Start with style.css and then also style.rtl.css.

Going into site-footer/site-info etc., might not work if you haven't gone to the root of the issue which can only be found in your style.css/style-rtl see here for a short video: https://goo.gl/RuZNMK

The Content Pro's

You can go into you style.css and swap out Godaddy for your new name/content, see here https://goo.gl/RuZNMK

The Content Pro's
New

I created a plugin to make it easy to remove the "theme by godaddy". You can check it out here. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am using a velux theme which is the child them for primer and I actually override this css: .site-info-wrapper .site-info-text { color: #252525; display: none; }

The copyright was removed however I want something on the footer like the name of my site.

Thanks for the help.

New

Worked like a charm !
Thank you Josie Style for the Home

im surprised that this is so hard to remove... he still has this stout theme powered by godaddy on his site. Its a same that he pays so much to have one stupid thing still on his site. WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO **bleep**ING REMOVE!!

Ditto Here. I just purchased GoDaddy hosting, Word Press, email, a bunch of plugins, and so on. Lots of $$$. And my biggest headache right now is the GODADDY branding at the bottom of my site that I can't change easily? Has this been fixed? GODADDY - I paid a lot of money for all this stuff, and I think the least you could do is remove your branding (why is it in there?) from MY site, like, right now. I am purchasing services from you, not creating a site to promote you and your services. Nor do I expect to add hacks to my site for this. Thank you. I look forward to your response.

THANK YOU upwerd! Worked like a charm.  Extremely helpful and painless. Thanks again!

Solution

I had this problem too guys and found that GoDaddy actually allow you to edit these details very easily.

All you have to do is in the dashboard go to APPEARANCE>CUSTOMIZE>SITE IDENTITY (all will be revealed). In this section you'll see an area that allows you to edit the footer credits (put whatever you want in) and to toggle off the "Display theme author credits" so it doesn't show the theme and GoDaddy anymore. :-D 

It's all there and very easily accessible to anyone. Actually it's ingenious and one of the easiest ways to to edit your footer credits I've seen on any theme actually. If only they told people about it...Lol

Make sure to thumb up so others can see this post too.

New

JesseM worked! thanks!

Yaaaaaas! This worked... I'm using Stout, a child theme of Primer. All you have to do is UNCHECK that "Display theme author credits" box! Appearance, Customize, Site Identity. Uncheck that box and that author credit goes away in the footer. So simple. 

New

just wanted to say, that this plugin works like a charm! Thank you upwerd!

New

Thank you for this answer. I am not the most tech savvy person but I was able to remove the footer very easily after reading this. 

Scribble theme - remove site identity section above menu

Good evening,

All I want to do is remove the Site Identity section from the Godaddy created Primer theme called scribbles.

It doesnt make sense to me to have the logo above the menu. So I just want it gone, its not labeled well in the backend so I am hoping someone has done this before.

New

Thats awesome,  I never even noticed the little checkmark to remove the GoDaddy info    LMAO

Forgive me if this no longer applies to you anymore, but I have the "Escapades" theme and it is very easy to remove the GoDaddy footer info. Simply go into "Customize" and then click on "site identity" and the make sure that the  "Display theme author credit" box is UNCHECKED. Once you uncheck that box and then click the "publish" button, then the GoDaddy footer info should be removed. I hope this helpsSmiley Happy 

You have to customize the theme itself.

From your Admin area
Select "Appearance"
Select Customize
Click Site Identity
Under "Footer Copyright Text", Un-check "Display theme author credit"

OUTSTANDING. I was also losing my mind searching the coding. 

@Omegalos wrote:

I had this problem too guys and found that GoDaddy actually allow you to edit these details very easily.

All you have to do is in the dashboard go to APPEARANCE>CUSTOMIZE>SITE IDENTITY (all will be revealed). In this section you'll see an area that allows you to edit the footer credits (put whatever you want in) and to toggle off the "Display theme author credits" so it doesn't show the theme and GoDaddy anymore. :-D 

It's all there and very easily accessible to anyone. Actually it's ingenious and one of the easiest ways to to edit your footer credits I've seen on any theme actually. If only they told people about it...Lol

Make sure to thumb up so others can see this post too.

Highlighted
Solution

Solution from appearance > customize > site identity 

simply uncheck option  - Display theme author credit

Or if you did not get this option then  try below solution - 

Step 1 - select primer theme - appearance > editor > select theme to edit

Step 2 - select theme footer - footer.php file

Step 3 - Replace line number 52 - 

<?php

/**
* Fires after the `<footer>` element.
* @hooked primer_add_site_info - 10
* @since 1.0.0
*/
do_action( 'primer_after_footer' );

?>

to 

<div class="site-info-wrapper">

<div class="site-info">

<div class="site-info-inner">

<div class="site-info-text">

Copyright © 2018  
</div>

</div><!-- .site-info-inner -->

</div><!-- .site-info -->

</div>

Change Text Copyright © 2018   to whatever you want Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!

Note : Always take backup before any change . 

You can visit my profile for any wordpress related task or if you want to make a website  - https://www.freelancer.in/u/lalit31parihar

Outstanding! I found the site identity checkbox about a month ago, and today I didn't remember where it was buried. 

TYTYTY!!