cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

How to add a free Let's Encrypt SSL certificate to a Godaddy Website?

Hi.

I built my website with a basic Godaddy Website builder and I would like to add a free Let's Encrypt SSL certificate.

Considering that I have no access to Cpanel and/or the File Manager of the site (I think I can just edit the nameservers, and other few settings/options), will it be possible for me to add a free Let's Encrypt SSL certificate to my Godaddy Website?

Thanks in advance for any clarification it will be provided.

Regards,
Francesco

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User III

I'll add the current plans now include SSL, as it sounds like you may be on one of the older versions.  I'll note the page editors and other features are not the same so you may want to test it out to see if it'll work for your needs.  Unfortunately it wouldn't be an automatic migration, you would need to add the desired pages and copy&paste over your content.

https://www.godaddy.com/websites/website-builder/plans-and-pricing

View solution in original post

Resolver III

OK, this is a reply to a slightly different question, something like: "Can I get a free SSL for my Godaddy website?"

To manage traffic, many of us use CDN networks. Some of them provide SSL for free. You can try to search for a CDN service with free SSL (google search "CDN with free SSL" shows quite a few).

Note: use with care, it's not properly tested and you should know what you're doing! If you make a mistake, you may cause your website to be unavailable till you fix issues.

The following is based on my experience with Cloudflare but the same sequence of steps should work with others. CDN services change your DNS configuration so whoever wants to visit your "mygreatwebsite.com" will hit a CDN server that caches your website first. The cache is updated from your website periodically or on-demand.

What you have to do is:

a) open a free CDN account b) transfer your DNS records to the CDN provider. (Once this is completed, you will have to manage any future DNS changes via your ew CDN account.)

b) request the free SSL and select a "flexible" option - one of the options allows insecure connections between your website and the CDN servers. 

c) complete whatever steps are needed for the DNS transfer.

d) once the DNS is transferred, you need to go to your website builder, change the domain name and select "external domain name", which is at the bottom of the list. Then select an option that you already have a domain name and the next screen will show you several IP addresses. Select one of them.

e) go back to your new CDN account. In the DNS management check that the "A" record points to the selected IP address. Wait for the DNS to update.

If all worked swimmingly, you should have your website with HTTPS provided and managed by the CDN provider.

Dan

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net

3 REPLIES 3
Super User II

@francesco79 

The GoDaddy Website builder doesn't allow for you to put on a third-party SSL. You can, however, use Let's Encrypt on their shared hosting and VPS/Dedicated servers.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Super User III

I'll add the current plans now include SSL, as it sounds like you may be on one of the older versions.  I'll note the page editors and other features are not the same so you may want to test it out to see if it'll work for your needs.  Unfortunately it wouldn't be an automatic migration, you would need to add the desired pages and copy&paste over your content.

https://www.godaddy.com/websites/website-builder/plans-and-pricing

Resolver III

OK, this is a reply to a slightly different question, something like: "Can I get a free SSL for my Godaddy website?"

To manage traffic, many of us use CDN networks. Some of them provide SSL for free. You can try to search for a CDN service with free SSL (google search "CDN with free SSL" shows quite a few).

Note: use with care, it's not properly tested and you should know what you're doing! If you make a mistake, you may cause your website to be unavailable till you fix issues.

The following is based on my experience with Cloudflare but the same sequence of steps should work with others. CDN services change your DNS configuration so whoever wants to visit your "mygreatwebsite.com" will hit a CDN server that caches your website first. The cache is updated from your website periodically or on-demand.

What you have to do is:

a) open a free CDN account b) transfer your DNS records to the CDN provider. (Once this is completed, you will have to manage any future DNS changes via your ew CDN account.)

b) request the free SSL and select a "flexible" option - one of the options allows insecure connections between your website and the CDN servers. 

c) complete whatever steps are needed for the DNS transfer.

d) once the DNS is transferred, you need to go to your website builder, change the domain name and select "external domain name", which is at the bottom of the list. Then select an option that you already have a domain name and the next screen will show you several IP addresses. Select one of them.

e) go back to your new CDN account. In the DNS management check that the "A" record points to the selected IP address. Wait for the DNS to update.

If all worked swimmingly, you should have your website with HTTPS provided and managed by the CDN provider.

Dan

———

I've worked around (not only) SSL security for over 20 years in enterprises and startups. 

I am now running an HTTPS expiry management service KeyChest.net