cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Advantage and Disadvantage of 301 redirect

I am totally new to Blogging. I write some lots of posts on my website howtobest without keyword knowledge but now I know a little bit of knowledge about Keywords. What I do now is 301 redirect is a good solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@howtobest 

If the topic is the same, just rewrite the article to be better and integrate what you now know.  You don't have to stick to just one difficult keyword per article.  Many times, variations and similar phrases should be included as well.   With this approach you keep that URL out there being it is probably already indexed in search engines.

Does that help?

Judith
"Broken crayons still color." Anon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User I

@howtobest 

Maybe you can clarify why you are looking to 301 redirects?  Keywords and redirects are two different issues.  Just like anything there is not a black and white answer.

301 redirects are a way to indicate that a particular URL is no longer available (you've removed the page) and therefore redirect to a new or more apropos URL instead.  

The advantage is this is good for SEO (better than a 404 page not found error) and more user-friendly for site visitors.

The disadvantage could be if the page is linked to from a bunch of other sites and getting a lot of traffic.  You don't want to throw away that page's authority.

When redirecting you should know the traffic that the URL you want to redirect is receiving both from on and off your site.   If it is getting a lot of traffic, you really should look at redoing/rewriting the page for that topic, rather than redirecting and losing the value that page has built up over time.

HTH! 😉

Judith

@Muse I write an article on a high difficult keyword on my website howtobest because that time I have no idea about keyword search but now I find low difficult keywords on the same topic. What did I do? can I delete the previous article and redirect to a new one or write another article on the same topic?

The first article has not that much traffic.

@howtobest 

If the topic is the same, just rewrite the article to be better and integrate what you now know.  You don't have to stick to just one difficult keyword per article.  Many times, variations and similar phrases should be included as well.   With this approach you keep that URL out there being it is probably already indexed in search engines.

Does that help?

Judith

View solution in original post