cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Not getting undeliverable notice

I have a basic (Linux) hosting package with GoDaddy and have set up a couple of email accounts. The site is being used as a small club membership site.

All works well and I can send and receive mail.

However, I need to know if any mail I send is undeliverable. For example, if a user registers on my website and mis-types their email address. Unless I get an undeliverable mail message I will not know there is a problem. The user never receives a mail and cannot log in.

But using Office 365 or the webmail client and sending mail to ficticous addresses does not result in an undeliverable message.

Do I need to activate this somewhere?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Employee
Employee
Solution

Re: Not getting undeliverable notice

Hello TheTub,

One option, if using Office 365, is to setup Delivery Confirmation and Read Receipts. You could also use the ECP for Office 365 to preform a mail trace to check for message failures or delivery confirmations. Below I have linked to a couple Microsoft forums to show how utilize the 2 suggestions.

Get delivery and read receipt confirmations

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Get-delivery-and-read-receipt-confirmations-a34bf70a-4c2c-4...

Run a Message Trace and View Results

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200712(v=exchg.150).aspx

Hope this helps!

-Techfly

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @TheTub. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community!

Regarding your question about getting bounce back messages, I'm not 100% sure, but I think this may be part of the application you're using to send the messages out. I know for some (like phpList) there is an option to configure bounce settings. You may want to see if the application you're using has the ability to set that up. Hope that helps!

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Hi,

Thank for your help.

As a test, I sent out mail to a ficticious email address from Outlook Office 365 (set up as IMAP Secure SSL), Horde Mail from the GoDaddy control panel and from a php script using the secure and non-secure methods.

None of these mails resulted in an undeliverable notice.

Note that an undeliverable notice is different from a delivery or read receipt.

Many thanks

TT

Was this issue resolved?  I am experiencing the same problem.  Mail I send to non-existant or mistyped addresses from two different Godaddy Linux/cpanel accounts does not receive an undeliverable notice.  It's not a sending email client issue, occurs with both webmail and Outlook.

Hi,

I have a web application where someone fills in a contact form.  My code sends an auto-response to the user.  I've been testing non-existant email accounts but am not receiving an undeliverable message.  I know the auto-response is definitely sending as I've bcc'd my own email in and receive that.  

Any ideas? 

Rob

Super User I Super User I
Super User I
Solution

It really depends on what you mean by "non-existant email accounts" @robbied If you are just picking randomuser546745@gmail.com even though that email address may not exist I wouldn't expect GMail to send out a courtesy undeliverable. Servers would be sending out responses all day and could/would be bombarded if that were the case. Email servers that I run wouldn't inform you that you got an email address wrong or to a non-existent address. I just usually define a catchall address to swallow all of those email to non-existant email accounts. I'd just concentrate on the fact that you received the message. You can always check using real addresses. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Highlighted

Hi,

Thanks for the update.  If I email directly to the undeliverable email address in Outlook 365 I get the bounce back.  So I should receive them, should I not? 

Thanks

Rob

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

The reality is servers will treat different requests differently. It is possible that you individual email address sending from your @yahoo.com or @Gmail.com (or whatever) is treated differently to a request coming in from a contact form which is basically a bot. I don't think that you should anticipate a bounceback. I guess I don't get why you feel like you need to get undeliverable messages back?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

New

Us too. How was your issue resolved?

It's still not working, no NDN's received.

I'm having the same issue and the reason it's important that people get an undeliverable/bounceback message when they've incorrectly entered an email address is simple. If they don't, they believe their email HAS been delivered and expect a response.

I would still like to know how to turn this option on if it exists for cPanel email.