cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Locked out of email account by administrator.

The administrator of a domain has taken control of another person's email address on the domain.  The administrator knows the password to this email address though it is not his own.  This gives the administrator the ability to read and send emails from this address if he chooses.   The person who has been locked out of their email account is no longer part of this domain.  How does this person contact Go Daddy directly to have their email account removed?  The password to this email address has been changed by the administrator.  The support line cannot get into the domain without a correct password or other administrator information.  Reset password does not work.  People have the right to have their email removed.  A direct email address for customer support for reporting purposes, anyone?

6 REPLIES 6
Helper IV
Helper IV

Re: Locked out of email account by administrator.

The organization owns the email account, not the user. That is why the administrator has ultimate access to any account to lock the user out if needed or requested by the parent organization.

The user does not have the right to the email after he/she leaves the organization and does not have any input on it's usage. In fact, it is a best practice to forward that email to another employee so the organization does not lose any business communications.

This is usually spelled out in the company policy and procedures manual and if not, it should be.

Thank you.  Your information was very useful.  This case differs slightly.  This case involves an administrator who acted illegally.  The person who has been locked out has not left the firm or organization.  The administrator's purpose was to use someone's email for their own purposes.  Unfortunately, the organization has some of the policies you mention, but they have simply been violated.  Accountability within the organization to take steps with the administrator is very limited.  Any options to file a complaint with Go Daddy?  Thanks again!

Helper IV
Helper IV
Solution

Does the owner of the business have control of their account? That would be the place to start. The owner needs to take control, and make sure the administrator has no more access.

It's not a GoDaddy issue, so they won't get involved other than helping the account owner of record gain access to their account to manage it (which would include changing any passwords so the administrator can no longer access it). No one other than the GoDaddy account holder - or someone with the account credentials - can get support from GoDaddy. And even then, they won't get involved with giving or removing user access as that is not their role and they cannot interfere with a businesses operations.

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV
Solution

Also, if a true crime has been committed by the administrator (you said they acted illegally), you can always contact the police. 

Hi,

I am also unable to access my email. The password (as I remember it) is rejected, and follow request a reset password email isn't received.

I am unable to contact GoDaddy by phone.

I have been locked out of my email for four days and have important messages waiting.

Any idea how I can resolve?
Helper IV
Helper IV

@Rugstar.

What is stopping you from calling GoDaddy by phone? Perhaps you can register for a Skype account to use to make the call. I don't work for GoDaddy, but if they host your email, you have to find a way to reach them.