cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does email forwarding take to activate?

Hey there,

I setup email forwarding for my new domain about 62 hours ago and still doesn't seem to be working...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

6 REPLIES 6

Re: How long does email forwarding take to activate?

No one replied this?  Facing the same problem and desperately needing a prompt solution

Did anyone help in the end? Same issue here.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@robwalden1@wkturnbull@Tballer632 - Hi. Email forwarding itself usually sets up within a few minutes. However, the needed DNS records for the forwarding to work can take longer, depending on where your DNS is hosted and what you've changed. If you still need help with this, you may want to provide the domain name or email address that is using the forwarding. That may help others suggest a solution. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

6 months later, this is still the only relevant post i can find, and it is EXTREMELY light on information.

I purchased a domain at godaddy 10 hours ago, for use with mailchimp/mandrill.

I set-up email forwarding at godaddy 5 hours ago.

I have 3 tests of email addresses set to forward:

1 to client's email exchange,

1 to my gmail address,

1 to my outlook365 email address.

Nothing has been received at any addresses yet. Beyond just testing over and over, and hoping it works some day, can you provide ANY information? For instance:

1) What DNS change is it going to make, so i can monitor? No TXT, SPF, MX records have been created so far.

2) What is the outside time frame for this to work before a failed test indicates a problem?

3) Is the Gmail test GOING to work? Internet search says there are problems with that as of 2 years ago, and  I have not found an assertion that it is fixed.

4) Do people really use GoDaddy for business purposes? They just sit there for days without getting email and just hope it will work?

New

Wouldn't a DNS propagation delay be visible via a discrepancy 

between the records in the GoDaddy web portal and what can be retrieved publicly?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @EricW2. I'll see if I can address your questions. 

1. What DNS change is it going to make, so i can monitor? No TXT, SPF, MX records have been created so far.
     - In order for email forwarding to work, your domain would just need to have the right MX records. The correct records depend on what type of Workspace Email plan you have. 
    US - smtp.secureserver.net | mailstore1.secureserver.net
    AP - smtp.asia.secureserver.net | mailstore1.asia.secureserver.net
    EU - smtp.europe.secureserver.net | mailstore1.europe.secureserver.net
  2. What is the outside time frame for this to work before a failed test indicates a problem?
     - DNS propagation time can vary depending on what is changed. Generally, allow up to 48 hours if you changed nameservers or 24 hours if you just changed a record. Usually, changes don't take that long though.
  3. Is the Gmail test GOING to work? Internet search says there are problems with that as of 2 years ago, and  I have not found an assertion that it is fixed.
     - I have heard of forwards to Gmail accounts not working but I've usually found that it's for a reason other than the fact the message is forwarded. Each case where mail delivery is an issue should be looked at individually.
  4. Do people really use GoDaddy for business purposes? They just sit there for days without getting email and just hope it will work?
     - Yes. Millions of people do use our services successfully every day. Typically, setup doesn't take that long. 

Additionally, one thing that might be causing problems that you made mention of is "my outlook365 email address". Keep in mind that you won't be able to use the same domain for both email forwarding (Workspace Email) and Office 365 email accounts. Each of these services requires it's own MX records. Having both sets would cause intermittent delivery failure and having only one set would only cause one service to work. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.