cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Tourist trap first year free ? (lock option)

Godaddy tourist trap fees ?

Hi all. Thanks for reading. I was first wondering what Domain lock option could bring and why would i have do opt for it. Preventing from any unlawful transfer of domain names i buy appears self-evident to me. I mean this should come by itself with any purchase of domain name (or anything else). Why would i make anything to make sure the service i get wont be interrupted in any way, stolen or damaged ? If i rent a house, i do not have to do anything else to make sure anybody won't change the locks and get to sleep in my bed...Or to make sure my neighbour won't write down my address on his house...  Or maybe i missed someting.

So as far as i can see on my bills, and as you just wrote, this lock option is actually free... for private domaine use. It seems that for anything else (which appears to fall in commercial use), the option will be free this year and $14,92/year next years... Isn't it ? (Pasted below, from cart...). As far as i can see, people who wont regulary look at their bills details will pay fees for years for options they haven't opted first...

Another question would be : I checked 10 of my domains on the form (to opt for locked option). How come, on the page i got when i clicked "Continue to checkout", i've been presented with only 4 of those ? 6 others were not relevant for this option ? What happened ?

Thanks to you.
Salutations.

Private Domain Registration xxxxxxxxxxxx.com

C$0.00
0.904 years

C$0.00

0.997 years

C$0.00

1.005 years Renews at C$14,92/yr

C$0.00

1.005 years Renews at C$14,95/yr

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Tourist trap first year free ? (lock option)

Protected Registration is optional.  It provides a safety net if your credit card expires and you forget to update, as well as an additional lock (2-step authentication) against malicious transfers or cancellation.

New

"...if your credit card expires and you forget to update, as well as an additional lock (2-step authentication) against malicious transfers or cancellation."

Great ! Can see clearer now ! Thank you very much ! 

Super User III Super User III
Super User III

No problem.