cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Subdomain to Hosted Content - 404

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had an idea on how could I point a subdomain to content hosted on another server.

I've been requested by a team member to help them add Wordpress content to a domain. As the domain is currently pointed to Shopify, we've purchased web hosting elsewhere and uploaded the Wordpress content there. 

Now we want to create a subdomain and point that to the Wordpress content. e.g. ourwebsite.com points to Shopify, while wp.ourwebsite.com points to the Wordpress content.

They gave me Hostgator nameservers and a matching IP address, so I took the IP address and made a host record pointing to it. I didn't update the DNS nameservers as it would overwrite my existing GoDaddy settings.

Host record works, but it shows up as a 404 error. 

Anyone have any suggestions? Is this something to do with the Hostgator end of things?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@tmadmin 

1) Make sure you are using the IP of the server and not the name servers (should have this in the hostgator cpanel

2) Make sure the subdomain is configured on the host gator server to point to the home directory

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User IV

@tmadmin 

1) Make sure you are using the IP of the server and not the name servers (should have this in the hostgator cpanel

2) Make sure the subdomain is configured on the host gator server to point to the home directory

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post