cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Getting Started

Still having problems with DNS zonefile not propagating, very frustrasting

Hi all, I still got my problem!  I've got a GoDaddy domain, I'm using GoDaddy's own DNS servers.  I want to use email hosting from a different company, Mailbox.org.  So, I need to set up the DNS zonefile for my GoDaddy domain to forward emails to Mailbox.org, I've followed the instructions on Mailbox.org's website and done them in my domain control panel, but it doesn't seem to be working.  I used domain zone checkers for example MX Toolbox, Network Tools, etc., they all show no MX records or any entries I've made, the DNS nameservers are correct, and the DNS tools all download from the correct nameservers, and the serial numbers clearly show the zonefiles has been updated.  It looks like the changes I've put in the DNS zonefile isn't being used.  I believe I've enabled the domain, so what do I need to do to make it work?  I've called GoDaddy customer support a couple of times, but they were absolutely no help, one guy asked me which email client I was using repeatedly, even though it's completely irrelevant!

Here are the changes I've made to the zonefile in my GoDaddy account - I click on "Manage Domain", the three dots to the right of my domain, "Manage DNS", and have put in the following fields:

mxmy.domainmxext1.mailbox.org (Priority: 10)1 HourEdit
mxmy.domainmxext2.mailbox.org (Priority: 20)1 HourEdit
mxmy.domainmxext3.mailbox.org (Priority: 30)1 HourEdit

But when I use a number of DNS zonefile checkers, they all say my domain has no MX records, despite the serial number updating correctly - I've highlighted the relevant text in red - 2019062004 is the serial number and shows that it is downloading the most recent zonefile.  The DNS servers are GoDaddy's own servers.

my.domain results:

ns14.domaincontrol.com.A 2 ms
INxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx600
TXT 2 ms
No record found
LOC 3 ms
No record found
SOA 2 ms
INns13.domaincontrol.com. dns.jomax.net. 2019062004 28800 7200 604800 6003600
NS
INns14.domaincontrol.com.3600
INns13.domaincontrol.com.3600
SRV 2 ms
No record found
SPF 3 ms
No record found
CNAME 2 ms
No record found
MX 2 ms
No record found
AAAA 2 ms
No record found
ns13.domaincontrol.com.A 13 ms
INxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx600
TXT 2 ms
No record found
LOC 2 ms
No record found
SOA 2 ms
INns13.domaincontrol.com. dns.jomax.net. 2019062004 28800 7200 604800 6003600
NS
INns14.domaincontrol.com.3600
INns13.domaincontrol.com.3600
SRV 2 ms
No record found
SPF 2 ms
No record found
CNAME 3 ms
No record found
MX 2 ms
No record found
AAAA 2 ms
No record found

I've brought this domain nearly 2 months ago and still am unable to use it, I'm getting extremely frustrated with this.  Any advice would be massively appreciated!

Many thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Getting Started

I came across another forum post that was put up recently with the exact same problem, the answer was to put in an "@" instead of the domain, so my mistake was to

whereas the correct way to do it would be to:

mx@mxext1.mailbox.org (Priority: 10)1 HourEdit
mx@mxext2.mailbox.org (Priority: 20)1 HourEdit
mx@mxext3.mailbox.org (Priority: 30)1 Hour

Edit

ARRGGHH!!!  A simple solution!  Could have saved me from tearing my hair out... "Award-winning customer service" - yeah right....

View solution in original post

Super User IV

@Eddles 

Could you share either here or via PM what your domain is so that I can take a look at the zone file (from outside of GoDaddy) and see what the issue might be...

If had to guess - 

When you set up the MX records for the "Host" field did you put in my.domain or did you put in @

If you put in my.domain what you actually set up was an mx for my.domain.my.domain

When you want the "root" of the domain you just enter @ for the host

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

3 REPLIES 3
Getting Started

I came across another forum post that was put up recently with the exact same problem, the answer was to put in an "@" instead of the domain, so my mistake was to

whereas the correct way to do it would be to:

mx@mxext1.mailbox.org (Priority: 10)1 HourEdit
mx@mxext2.mailbox.org (Priority: 20)1 HourEdit
mx@mxext3.mailbox.org (Priority: 30)1 Hour

Edit

ARRGGHH!!!  A simple solution!  Could have saved me from tearing my hair out... "Award-winning customer service" - yeah right....

Super User IV

@Eddles 

Could you share either here or via PM what your domain is so that I can take a look at the zone file (from outside of GoDaddy) and see what the issue might be...

If had to guess - 

When you set up the MX records for the "Host" field did you put in my.domain or did you put in @

If you put in my.domain what you actually set up was an mx for my.domain.my.domain

When you want the "root" of the domain you just enter @ for the host

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Getting Started

It's fixed now, I put in "my.domain" and not "@" - the correct answer is to put in "@" as you mentioned.  I'm just disappointed that GoDaddy's customer service didn't spot this error and advised me the correct way.

Now this issue is solved, I now have a different problem!  Thank you for replying.