cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointing Domain name to IP & Port

Hi.

I've just purchased a domain so that i can simplify access to a web service i am running for external users to connect to. 

The Service is running on a specific port, but i cant seem to be able to point my new domain to an IP and Port number. I've got the domain point to my main IP, which returns the front end page correctly, but i need to direct it to a login page, which is on point 8976.

I've done some research and cant find the answer. I've seen the suggestion of using a SVR recorder, which i've set to _http, _tcp etc etc... plust port 8976, but i still cant hit the login page i need via my domain name.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Pointing Domain name to IP & Port

@dmn1981 

Ports in the fashion you are looking to do are not typically handled at the DNS level but rather at the server level

So for example you can have www.domain.com and login.domain.com both pointed to the same IP

At the server level you would then configure the server to forward traffic to the correct place

The SVR records are typically when used when servers / services need to talk to each other vs someone typing a domain into their browser

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community