cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the domain available?

I searched for a domain in godaddy and it was available so tried to buy it. After negotiating past the Continue button that did nothing I got to enter payment information and clicked to purchase where I got a fast disappearing notice that 'One or more domains in the basket are unavailable and have been removed' and I was left, bemused but not amused, looking at a screen with the option to search again.

I originally searched for the domain using another company and it was available. What is godaddy playing at? Can I have the domain or not?

Please help!

10 REPLIES 10
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: Is the domain available?

It doesn't happen often but occasionally a domain can be purchased while you are in the checkout process or while you are contemplating the purchase @dmg6839. You mentioned that you initially searched on another website and I can't speak to that unknown company and their accuracy. Also when looking for domain names please make sure that you are searching the correct information as many TLDs can look the same and misspellings and typing can occur.

If you question is a domain is available after receiving conflicting sources you can check online databases. I find who.godaddy.com to be reputable when checking for available domains and ownership records. Additionally GoDaddy is great with quick domain checkouts. Make sure that your GoDaddy account information is filled out completely and you will be able to check out in a flash when you find that perfect domain.

Sadly there are some unscrupulous companies who will seek to snap up domains that they feel are wanted and hold them for ransom. I have had people who looked up a domain on Friday (which sometimes signals that it is wanted) and when they went to purchase it on Monday found it to have been registered shortly after they queried the availability. Stick to reputable companies and sellers like GoDaddy and their who.godaddy.com for the purchase AND lookup or your domain. Keep your great domain name or company name to yourself until you are ready to purchase it. Hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

I have hosting with GoDaddy but was toying with the idea of adding a second host after they tried to tempt me back with a $1 per month offer. They are a reputable company so I trust their domain search. As it was, I then decided not to return but to buy the domain through my GoDaddy account. 

So, within minutes, I searched on GoDaddy for the same domain and it was available. I went through the steps to buy the domain but on the screen informing me I would get one month free business email the continue button would not work...literally nothing happened when it was clicked. So I started again, checked the domain and so on for another two goes before accessing the domain search through a different screen (still in my account) and this time I got through to the checkout screen and tried to buy and this is when I got the message about the domain being unavailable and taken from my basket.

Being persistent, I went through the process again: checked for domain - domain was available, went to buy - suddenly not available. This happened two more times before I posted on here (after discovering GoDaddy has no customer service email or ticket system - I don't do waiting on the phone for hours.

So any ideas why GoDaddy's domain search kept telling me the domain was available if it was not?

I have just checked and the search does say it's unavailable now but it all seems a bit fishy to me.

I've just tried your who.godaddy.com suggestion and when I enter the domain I get taken to the domain search screen where I'm told the domain is not available! Where is the ICANN/ownership information it promised? Something is just not right about the whole situation.

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

That does sound a bit odd @dmg6839, perhaps the domain is waiting in your cart? I can't imagine that the who.godaddy.com would display incorrect information but it might (though that has never been my experience). Does it say that it was purchased today? Maybe you went through a checkout? It didn't slip into your Domain Control Center did it?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Wow, this just happened to me. I actually saved screenshots of it yesterday, and today, to send to my cofounders. And now I search today and it says taken. SOmething is fishy. I’m going to post it elsewhere to see if any other folks have had this happen. Sneaky GoDaddy. 

I bet you guys are selling this search history information. That’s the only way to explain such a short turnaround for people searching a Domain, finding it available, but then seeing it Taken the next day. 

This is dodgy. 

Super User II
Super User II

@STEVEJOSLYN wrote:

Wow, this just happened to me. I actually saved screenshots of it yesterday, and today, to send to my cofounders. And now I search today and it says taken. SOmething is fishy. I’m going to post it elsewhere to see if any other folks have had this happen. Sneaky GoDaddy. 

@STEVEJOSLYN What is the domain name? If its taken it won't matter posting it here or send me a private message, I'd like to look into it more.

---

This just happened to me also, but in a matter of minutes. 

GoDaddy said the domain was available, allowed me to enter all my payment info, and then when I went to finalize the purchase it said it wasn't available and was removed from my cart.

Now it's showing as a premium domain with a minimum bid of $20.

Super User II
Super User II

@bill_murray_fan wrote:

This just happened to me also, but in a matter of minutes. 

GoDaddy said the domain was available, allowed me to enter all my payment info, and then when I went to finalize the purchase it said it wasn't available and was removed from my cart.

Now it's showing as a premium domain with a minimum bid of $20.

@bill_murray_fan Did you check the whois to see if it was recently registered?

---

Yesterday when I looked for the domain on GoDaddy WHOIS nothing came up. 

Today when I checked, it shows a listing that expired in March and shows a "pendingDelete" status:

Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited 
Domain Status: pendingDelete https://icann.org/epp#pendingDelete 

Super User II
Super User II

@bill_murray_fan wrote:

Yesterday when I looked for the domain on GoDaddy WHOIS nothing came up. 

Today when I checked, it shows a listing that expired in March and shows a "pendingDelete" status:

Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited 
Domain Status: pendingDelete https://icann.org/epp#pendingDelete 

@bill_murray_fan that's a pretty common error with most registrars showing a "false positive" if you will, such as showing the domain as available. Now look at the "updated date" and the domain name will be deleted from the registry 6 days after that date (on the 6th day between 2-3 pm Eastern for .com domains).

---