cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

How to get my domain to appear with the www.?

My domain currently displays as example.com I would like it to display as www.example.com. Can I do this without a redirect?

7 REPLIES 7
Solution

Re: How to get my domain to appear with the www.?

Hey @rampup

First let me say welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

To help clarify what you might be asking, I should point out that by default most domains come with DNS records in place that allow the root (example.com) domain and the 'www' subdomain to resolve to the same location. So unless the records have been modified, your domain should already be resolving to the same site pages regardless of which is used by your visitors. 

Are you actually wanting 'example' to default to 'www' in the browser? If that's the case, then that's most often completed by using some form of redirect. In that aspect, there's a few ways to accomplish that. Some folks use scripting (which there are multiple tutorials on in preferred search engine results), while others might use something like our domain forwarding service to accomplish this. 

Hopefully that helps, otherwise we'll need some more information on what you ultimately want to accomplish. Let us know. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
New

Hi, I am having the same issue.  Using the basic website builder, my domain rememberandgive.org is not accessible when I put in www.rememberandgive.org.  The domain is hosted with go daddy.  What changes do I need to make to ensure that both versions of the domain resolve?

Thanks,

Linda

Highlighted

Hey @linnie,

First let me say welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Looks like you might have worked this out on your end already as I'm showing both with and without 'www' resolving to a live site from here. If you still needed help, can you clarify what error you're still seeing? 

Otherwise, feel free to let us know what you did. I'm sure anyone else reviewing this discussion will appreciate the info. Smiley Wink

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
New

Hello,

Sorry, I also have an issue. How To Get My Domain To Appear With The www.?

If I put www.wpg.london it goes to a blog?? I have www.wpg.london on my business card.

Could you please advice asap?

Thanks,

Alice

hi,

i am trying to open my website from today morning i.e. https://crazyxi.com/

but its not opening..

its shows the below problem

This site can’t be reached

crazyxi.com took too long to respond.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

please help me to reach my site

@CG 

I couldn't find the scripting tutorials for this.  Does the _domainconnect  CNAME entry in most godaddy DNS records accomplish this? (make the site show 'www')?

And I'm confused about using domain forwarding. Wouldn't I have to use masking, which might cause problems? A specific example of how to set domain forwarding so my domain displays 'www' would be very helpful. Thank you.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @Rockscout. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! There are really two separate issues here. Both can be very complex. 

The first is making www.domain.com point to the same thing that domain.com does. There are a number of ways to make sure that the root or naked domain and it's www variant both point to the same website. The most common is having the domain point toward the IP of the server where the website is hosted. This is determined by the domain's primary A Record (@). Then pointing the WWW CNAME to "@" (which essentially just means, look at the A record for domain.com). Domains are set up this way by default when they are first assigned nameservers in our system. 

The above scenario would make it so that the same website appears at both www.domain.com and domain.com. However, the second issue is redirecting one to the other. Some people like their website to always display www.domain.com, while others prefer just domain.com. This is done through redirection. This is typically something that is set up by using scripting on the hosting server that the domain points to. 

Some try to use domain forwarding to solve the above issues. Using our forwarding changes the IP address that the domain points to, so it's not really the best way to do things in all situations. However, some website providers require the domain owner to point their WWW CNAME to a specific URL in order to have a site with them. Blogger/Blogspot is a good example of this. In that case, the WWW CNAME is updated to point to ghs.googlehosted.com. Then, the domain owner would point the domain's A Record to a specific set of IPs provided by Google, and Google would handle the redirection from one to the other (www to root or vice versa). 

Since this is an older thread and the initial post was already marked solved, I'm going to close this thread. If you're still having trouble, I suggest reviewing the post here to learn more about what kind of information you can supply to help others offer quality responses, then, post your own forum topic. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.