cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Forwarding Not Working

Hello, I have set up my domain SeptemberCFawkes.com to forward to WriteBetterWithAnEditor.com--both of which I purchased on Go Daddy. It has been about 48 hours and it still is not forwarding...?

Can anyone please help me?

forwarding 1.JPGforwarding 2.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Solution

Re: Forwarding Not Working

Hi @SeptCFawkes,

Please be sure that your A record is the forwarding IP required (50.63.202.1) to have your redirect work. You can use these instructions to change this record in your DNS. You may need to remove the forward command first to be able to access these A records first. 

Forward a domain: https://www.godaddy.com/help/manually-forward-or-mask-your-domain-or-subdomain-422

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support
Super User III Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Make sure you have this CNAME in the DNS.

Type: CNAME

Host/Name: www

Points to/Value: @

https://www.godaddy.com/help/manage-dns-zone-files-680

New

When I attempt to do this, the IP change is accepted, I wait for the DNS to propagate but the minute I add the forwarding back, the IP reverts back to the old one and my forwarding is still not working. Why would adding forwarding force the A record IP to go back to the original IP of 184.168.131.241? Customer Support chat refuses to help. 

Super User III
Solution

@gevans - This topic is a little old.  I believe the domain should be using 184.168.131.241 for forwarding.  When adding forwarding make sure the box is checked to automatically update your DNS, others (A record for host @) you've added should be removed.

New

Thank You Nate, I figured the IP was the new forwarding IP, thanks for confirming. We don't have any other A records and I don't see a check box to automatically update DNS. Either way, the forwarding does sometimes work just not consistently. When I was able to get somebody at GoDaddy to help, the technical resource could see that the domain was not propagating to all DNS servers. When they force the propagation, it would work great for about a month and then go back to being inconsistent. I think this is the same problem everyone has been having over the years, and continue to have. This shouldn't be this difficult, I have domain A that does nothing more than forward to domain B. If propagation is the problem, why can't this be addressed for all. If it is not the problem, someone needs to investigate to resolve a simple basic function. Thoughts?

Super User III

@gevans I am aware there were a few problems that should have been resolved.  Is it working for you now?

New

It is working half way better now. What I mean by that is, it is working consistently for www.***.com but not for ***.com. For now, I will take that as a win because all of our links are www.***.com but other customers will still have a problem. Thank You for your assistance @Nate.