cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Forward Domain on IP with port

Hello, I was wondering if there is anyway to place a domain over an IP with a port at all? I've tried doing it with records, using type A @ (value being the IP) TTL - 1hour.

Using the method above doesn't allow ports so I'm trying to find a way to get the domain to use a port as well.

~Jordan

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Forward Domain on IP with port

@Bloodshot_pico 

Are you trying to forward domain1.com to domain2.com:port 

or you just want domain1.com to load on a specific port??

If it is the first you should be able to just do domain forwarding in GoDaddy DNS manager

If it is the 2nd you really will need to do that at the server level

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@PL281

Sorry what do you mean? 

I'm trying to do the second one.

I don't own the server the IP is hosted on directly as it's a gaming server from one of those obscure companies.

~Jordan

Super User III
Super User III
Solution

@Bloodshot_pico 

So in other words your trying to connect to a gaming server that might be something like domain.com:8080 but you just want to type in domain.com 

This can not be done within DNS - typically the way this is done is at the server level where when the request comes on port 80 (default port when not specified) it will redirect to the correct port - 

The other issue you can't just point a domain to an IP as the server has to be configured to accept traffic from that domain

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community