cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Error setting up non-www URL redirect

I'm trying to set up a portfolio site that I have hosted elsewhere to properly redirect to both the www. and non-www. versions of the domain I have registered with GoDaddy.

The host says to do the following: 

Next, you’ll need to go to your domain registrar (where you bought the domain). Under you domain’s DNS settings, add a new CNAME record:

hostname: www
value: custom.smallvictori.es

This i've done, and the www. version is working properly. However when I try to add a CNAME to point to the non-www. version of the site (using www as the host and @ in the "Points To" field), I get an error message.

I'm not sure what else to try to fix this issue. Any assistance in this matter is very much appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV
Solution

Re: Error setting up non-www URL redirect

@graemeb 

What you need to do is at the bottom of the DNS management screen is setup the forward to www.yourdomain.com (putting in your actual domain) this will redirect domain.com to www.domain.com and the cname will redirect it to the other host

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV
Solution

@graemeb 

What you need to do is at the bottom of the DNS management screen is setup the forward to www.yourdomain.com (putting in your actual domain) this will redirect domain.com to www.domain.com and the cname will redirect it to the other host

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Highlighted

that's it! thank you so much 🙂