cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Does GoDaddy support sending NOTIFY to slave secondary DNS servers?

I am using GoDaddy Premium DNS as primary (master) nameservers, with DNSMadeEasy as secondary (slave) DNS servers.

When I update the DNS on GoDaddy I have to wait for the SOA period on the NS records for the secondaries to go and fetch the latest records.

DNSMadeEasy tells me that the secondaries are out of sync with the primaries based on mismatched serial values, but that it did not receive a NOTIFY from the primaries.

Everything is 100% properly configured, so just wanted to confirm if GoDaddy supports sending NOTIFY to secondaries or not.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
3fk
Former Employee

Re: Does GoDaddy support sending NOTIFY to slave secondary DNS servers?

@mp01 Hello , my guess is your referring to secondary namesrevers, I'll try to help. But I need the Domain name. 

Warm Regards, 
--Joven Smiley Happy

I have a similar issue. My domain name is skavac.com. I trying to test this since two weeks, still not able to complete. Can someone help?

Solution

Hi @Ashish360,

If you are using Premium DNS with us, this help article may help you out. Before you make our nameservers the primary (master) set in your Premium DNS account, you'll need to contact support for your system and your DNS server software to configure your own nameservers as the secondary (slave) set.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

@TLH

Thanks for the response,

I have followed exactly what is there on the document that you have shared. I am making  godaddy as aster and dnsmadeeasy as slave. But still, my dns zone records are not updating on secondary ( dnsmadeeasy).  When I contact dnsmadeeasy support, they said that GoDaddy is refusing to update the records. 

So the questions are....

1. Are these the IP addresses to be used at slave side for AXFR requests ?

• xfr03.domaincontrol.com (72.167.238.111)
  • xfr04.domaincontrol.com (72.167.238.110

2. Is there something like, Godaddy has to whitelist dnsmadeeasy's zone transfer servers (slaves) to  transfer zone records to dnsmadeeasy?

3. Does godaddy send NOTIFY request to slaves as they mentioned in their slave document (https://in.godaddy.com/help/enable-secondary-dns-with-godaddy-nameservers-as-slaves-23911)

Their support will not be able to provide you with a definitive answer but through personal experience setting this up and anecdotal evidence on the web, it's almost certain that GoDaddy does not send NOTIFY requests.  It is best to use another DNS provider as primary DNS and set GoDaddy as the secondary if you want redundant DNS providers.  This way NOTIFY requests will get sent to GoDaddy which will update changes immediately.  Well, at least it used to.  We have GoDaddy as secondary DNS and it stopped doing zone transfers this week.  GoDaddy support said to wait another 48 hours.  Changes used to propagate in minutes and they haven't propagated after more than 12 hours, so I'm doubtful waiting another two days will help.

Employee
Employee

@Ashish360 Your domain was impacted by a bug; the problem required a one-time manual fix, but as long as you don't make changes to name server info for your AXFR configuration, it should work from now on.

Sorry you had the issue, and definitely open a ticket with our support folks for any similar problem in the future, and it will get escalated to the folks who can fix it.

Employee
Employee
Solution

@Ashish360 Just to complete the responses, and to answer your questions:

1. Those are the correct addresses.

2. Yes, there is a white list that you configure when setting up your Slave connection.

2.a. Optional but recommended: you can configure TSIG, with parameters Type, Name, and Value. Name has to be unique; Type means algorithm; Value is the TSIG key itself. Consult your DNS provider's documentation if they support TSIG, for what values to use, and make sure they are the same on our end.

3. Currently, when Godaddy is the master, it does not send the NOTIFY message on updates to the zone. If you need changes to be reflected more frequently, you can change the parameters that affect non-NOTIFY transfers, in the SOA record. (Refresh and Retry are the relevant parameters.) Changes to the zone trigger updates to the Serial Number field, which is used by the Slave to compare its copy of the zone to the Master, and to either do nothing (same serial number) or do a zone transfer (different serial number, with the Master serial > Slave serial).

Employee
Employee

Hi, @GoGoGadget,

We would like to help resolve your issue with DNS zone transfers.

We don't see any zones associated with this login, can you DM me the shopperID or zone names, and we will work with you to resolve your issues?

I'm sorry you were told to wait 48 hours, that was not a correct response.

And yes, you are correct: currently, GoDaddy does not send Notify to slaves. This might change, but it would be inappropriate to commit to this. Lowering the SOA Refresh interval is a workaround, for anyone interested in the technical aspect to zone transfers.

Hi @bpd,

I've sent you the affected domains via DM.  Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

You mentioned opening a ticket with support for future issues.  How do I do that?  My experience with calling in or chatting online with support is that they resist escalating the issue even when it's obvious it's a problem they cannot resolve immediately and even if I directly request the issue be escalated.  They do not follow-up on issues and do not provide a ticket number, either, so I find myself talking to someone else new and having to explain the whole issue again if the problem wasn't resolved during the initial call.

Sometimes support will provide me with their email address but, again, since there is no ticket number for me to reference, I have to include some background information in my email and hope I get a reply back.  I emailed the support person I worked with last week on this issue but never got a follow-up.

While I'm thankful for your offer to help and hopeful that you can resolve my issue, I know there has to be a better way of obtaining support other than hoping an employee will respond to a forum post.  Please let me know the best way to work with support going forward.