cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Developer went out of business, can't access my domain

In 2017 we paid a developer to build our website for our event center. They handled all the initial set up from domain to WP set up. I have access to the WP login to make some changes but not everything and I get the "WordPress 5.3.2 is available! Please notify the site administrator." We have tried to contact the developer with no luck since they went out of business over a year ago. My registration expires next year and we don't want to loose our domain for a business and also want to do a complete updated site.  My question would be how would we go about getting access to our domain dashboard and update renewal payments? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Solution

Re: Developer went out of business, can't access my domain

Hi @Msiegrist,

Welcome to the Community!

If your domain and website are in another account, but under someone else's name, you will not be able to gain access to that account. However, if you are the registrant for the domain in that account, you can go to this GoDaddy online form in an attempt to get the domain moved to a GoDaddy account you control. Then you can set up your a WordPress hosting plan in your new account and build out your website. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Msiegrist 

You may have to get access / get the account transferred

Here are some steps - I would call into support though and see what other information you may need / be able to get.- https://www.godaddy.com/help/regain-access-to-my-domain-or-my-account-4043 

What is your domain name - part of the issue is if your site is on a server with many others what you can get access to. It sounds like you don't have full administrator access to your site - do you see a plugins option on the left hand bar in WordPress??

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @Msiegrist,

Welcome to the Community!

If your domain and website are in another account, but under someone else's name, you will not be able to gain access to that account. However, if you are the registrant for the domain in that account, you can go to this GoDaddy online form in an attempt to get the domain moved to a GoDaddy account you control. Then you can set up your a WordPress hosting plan in your new account and build out your website. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post