cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Anyone else have to pay a redemption fee?

Has anyone else been scammed by these clowns? My domain name has been cancelled with no notifications and now they want to charge me an additional fee for a 'hopefully they can get it back'

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Anyone else have to pay a redemption fee?

Hi @beterthnyu. Thanks for posting. To clarify, redemption fees are fairly common among all domain name registrars when a domain is in an advanced state of expiration. The reason for this is because the domain registrar has to pay a fee to the domain registry in order to recover the domain. However, what you've suggested will only work if the domain is earlier in the redemption process (between 19 and 30 days). After that point, the option to transfer (and in some cases the option to recover the domain) will no longer be available. You can see the full domain life cycle here

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@User994084 

If I'm not mistaken, GoDaddy sends 3 renewal reminders before the due date, 1 on the day, and two more during the grace period they allow you to renew before the domain goes unregistered. There's also a period where you can pay a fee to get the domain back before it goes to the public registry (that's an ICANN fee, not a GD fee.)

I get renewal emails from them all the time, but I had to make sure the GoDaddy email addresses were whitelisted. After I did that, I haven't missed a single renewal reminder.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted

Yeah, its a ransom scam they started to try to scare people into paying a ransom to get their domain name back.

They tried that with one of my domains that I let lapse and wanted to reuse, so I just circumvented it, got my domain back, and didn't pay any of their scam ransom fees.

Instead of just releasing them back into the wild like they should (and used to do) they started this new scam.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @beterthnyu. Thanks for posting. To clarify, redemption fees are fairly common among all domain name registrars when a domain is in an advanced state of expiration. The reason for this is because the domain registrar has to pay a fee to the domain registry in order to recover the domain. However, what you've suggested will only work if the domain is earlier in the redemption process (between 19 and 30 days). After that point, the option to transfer (and in some cases the option to recover the domain) will no longer be available. You can see the full domain life cycle here

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post