cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Amount of Spam is Ridiculous

We purchased all the domains we could for our business. In less than 24 hours we received over 25 spam phone calls, and I can't even count how many spam emails. I am really really disappointed. I did not go to what I thought was a reputable website, to wind up getting hundreds of spam calls and emails. I wish I had never gone on this website and ordered domains. Now I have a full time job of answering the phone and asking to be taken off their calling list. You can't register your business number with the DNC so this has created a huge waste of time and energy. 

6 REPLIES 6
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: Amount of Spam is Ridiculous

I sadly know that frustration @Bethh2 so when I say "I've been there" trust many have had the same experience. One thing I will say is you can lay this at the feet of those who monitor WHOIS for these new and recurring registrations. It is not an exaggeration to say that there are companies built around this unsolicited model. @JesseW has a informative article in the GoDaddy Garage called What you need to know about domain privacy and the WHOIS database. There is also a rather robust discussion in Are They Selling Our Personal Data??? You'll probably find it a frustrating read but there is some good discussion there. 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

New

Your response is exactly what I expected.....pass the blame to some one else and then try to sell me a service to help eliminate the problem you created.  It's like the mafia.....they send people to rob your store and then come later and offer protection for a price.  You already got my money, I TRUSTED GoDaddy to protect my information and they did not do that. Buying your stupid protection isn't going to do me any good...you already sold or gave away my information...you can't take that back...it's out there and there is NOTHING that I can do about it now.  I have bought domains before and this did not happen. They protected my information. Of course I am asking myself why I came to you in the first place, other than I thought GoDaddy was a reputable company. No more.

I will be getting ahold of the BBB about GoDaddy. I hope anyone reading this that has experienced the same problem (all of you, I am sure) should do the same. Maybe if we push GoDaddy hard enough, in the future they will do the right thing for their customers. Charging us extra to protect the information they gave out....what a bunch of crap...they should have done that FOR FREE before giving out our information.

I also don't appreciate putting on the discussion board that this has been "solved". Just because you replied does not mean it is solved. It has not been solved. It has been 2 weeks since I bought the domains and I am still fielding spam calls all day long and I can't count the amount of spam emails. 

New

I also read through the forums and GoDaddy was promising to start protecting information starting January 25th of 2018. Obviously that was another GoDaddy lie. OMG, it just gets worse and worse as I read. I can't believe GD is still in business. 

Super User I

There were some recent changes in domain privacy. On May 25, 2018, the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) went into full effect. Is that perhaps what you were talking about @Bethh2?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

New

No, that is not what I am talking about.  I am talking about this: (copy and pasted from GD forum)

"@AJR I can understand your frustration. I own several thousand domain names and frankly cannot afford to pay for privacy on all of them. Godaddy stated that they will be masking all whois information starting the 25th so the spam should stop after that (hopefully)!

I saw this as a "solved" problem several times in the GD forum. Geez, you guys can't even remember what you promise people.

I am done with the back and forth...it is only wasting more of my time. Obviously GoDaddy is not concerned about their customers privacy. Now I know and hopefully others will read these comments before purchasing a domain from GD. I hope GoDaddy steps up and really fixes this before it is too late for the company.  Or not, they have hurt enough people.

Super User I

Oh okay, we can just ask @joe directly to update the status of that. I'm not sure that making from automated access points is so significant of a step?