cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

After deleting a domain, when can someone repurchase?

I'm done trying to sort things out with GoDaddy. I'd rather cut my losses, delete the domain and purchase it again from Blogger later, if possible and if it doesn't take too long.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: When a domain is deleted, when can it be repurchased?

Usually about 45 days and there's the chance you may not get it back.  It is recommended to transfer the registration instead.  Here are the steps to prepare a domain for transfer, then you would initiate it at the gaining registrar.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/transfer-my-domain-away-from-godaddy-3560

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Solution

Re: After deleting a domain, when can someone repurchase?

Hi @Raphi,

Welcome to the Community!
The notice that your "connection isn't safe" is just noting that there is no SSL (security certificate) on your server. You'll need to talk to your hosting provider about that. It is not evidence of any hacking.

Newly registered domains are locked against transfer for 60 days at all registrars. However, you can use the instructions below to direct the domain to your Blogger website at any time.

You can use the following directions to update the DNS zone files in your GoDaddy account.
  1. Go to your GoDaddy Domain Manager and access that domain's DNS.

2. Create 4 A Records - all have a "Host" name of "@" (no quotes) and "points to" the following:

3. Create a new CNAME entry.

4. Enter the subdomain name, for example, "www".

5. Type in the HOST name "ghs.googlehosted.com". This will point your URL to your Google site.

6. Create a forwarding command below the DNS listings in this GoDaddy account

7. Forward your domain to itself. For example, yourdomain.com should be forwarded to http://yourdomain.com. (Do not choose masking for this forward.)

8. This should create a forwarding IP address in the A record of the DNS.

Complete the setup at Google using the following as a guide.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: When a domain is deleted, when can it be repurchased?

Usually about 45 days and there's the chance you may not get it back.  It is recommended to transfer the registration instead.  Here are the steps to prepare a domain for transfer, then you would initiate it at the gaining registrar.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/transfer-my-domain-away-from-godaddy-3560

Highlighted
New

Apparently I can't do this until April, which is less than ideal. All I want is the domain I've purchased to redirect to my Blogger page, and displaying the new domain I've bought. Right now, going to mydomain.com just brings up nothing, while going to https://mydomain.com works, but only after a notice telling me my connection isn't safe and hackers might be trying to get in or something.

Honestly this whole thing is driving me mad, I should've just bought it directly through Blogger. Didn't know that was possible at first.

Highlighted
Solution

Hi @Raphi,

Welcome to the Community!
The notice that your "connection isn't safe" is just noting that there is no SSL (security certificate) on your server. You'll need to talk to your hosting provider about that. It is not evidence of any hacking.

Newly registered domains are locked against transfer for 60 days at all registrars. However, you can use the instructions below to direct the domain to your Blogger website at any time.

You can use the following directions to update the DNS zone files in your GoDaddy account.
  1. Go to your GoDaddy Domain Manager and access that domain's DNS.

2. Create 4 A Records - all have a "Host" name of "@" (no quotes) and "points to" the following:

3. Create a new CNAME entry.

4. Enter the subdomain name, for example, "www".

5. Type in the HOST name "ghs.googlehosted.com". This will point your URL to your Google site.

6. Create a forwarding command below the DNS listings in this GoDaddy account

7. Forward your domain to itself. For example, yourdomain.com should be forwarded to http://yourdomain.com. (Do not choose masking for this forward.)

8. This should create a forwarding IP address in the A record of the DNS.

Complete the setup at Google using the following as a guide.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support