• Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

user.ini file

Hello, I was just curious. I have experienced some time out issues on my managed wordpress shared hosting when updating a plugin and have been going around and around for some time on this with GoDaddy tech support and with the plugin itself (Jetpack). Jetpack has said it's GoDaddy's issue. GoDaddy has said it's Jetpack's issue. I'm stuck in the middle and continue to get a timeout on the plugin. It's the only issue I face with my GoDaddy account. Everything else works fine, including all other updates that I do. Nothing else times out. 

I have a user.ini file that's at the top of my FTP account and checked with Jetpack to ensure the settings in there are correct. They said they were.

In material I read in the forums state that a PHP.ini file should be updated and needed to be in the wp-admin folder. But when I FTP, on my managed wordpress account, there is no PHP.INI file, just a user.ini file.

I just want to make sure that (a) my user.ini file applies to my entire account where it is at and (b) that managed wordpress doesn't use a PHP.ini file and (c) is there anything else I can do to prevent a timeout from happening, as essentially when I click "update" for the plugin, it starts working, I get a blank white screen that says scheduled maintenance is occurring, and eventually it comes back to my dashboard and I get a message that shows the update failed, that a time out occurred, and that the plugin was corrupted and deleted. I then have to FTP to delete the files for the plugin and reinstall again.

Any help to these questions would be great.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
    Super User III
    Super User III

Re: user.ini file

Hey there @HeyItsAD 

Try renaming the user.ini file to php.ini. See if that works.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@MrVapor Isn't there some part of a Managed WordPress account that is looking for the user.ini file as I looked up the defaults for Managed WordPress and that’s what godaddys site says? So if I rename it, how does the site know then to look for a PHP.ini instead of a user.ini?

Super User III
    Super User III

@HeyItsAD 

When I worked there, we could never get the php.ini to update the values correctly. The user.ini always did, though. I'm not sure of the reason, but that's why I suggested it. If that doesn't work, I'd rename it back to php.ini. 

You can call in for assistance with it but they'll sell you on the WP Premium Support service that will set it up for you. It's been a while since I messed around with MWP at GoDaddy, or any other hosting provider for that matter. I honestly loathe the way it limits your ability to upscale your site and add functionality. Not that it's a bad platform, by any means. It's just WordPress with training wheels.

I'd honestly suggest moving to cPanel and buy a good caching plugin. You'll have a lot less trouble.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Community Manager
    Community Manager
    Solution

Hi @HeyItsAD - Just a little clarification from what @MrVapor said. The file name needs to be .user.ini (starting with a period). Maybe you already knew that but I wanted to make sure. This small variation can mean the difference between the settings being applied or not. 

As for the differences between the file types, the main difference that I'm aware of is that a .user.ini file will often take effect immediately, while a php.ini file would require all running PHP processes to be ended (killed). Since there's not an easy way to do this on Managed WordPress, it's always better to try using a .user.ini file first. Also, it seems like not all configuration variables can be changed with a .user.ini file. This can also be true for php.ini files if the variable you want to change is blocked at the server level. Unfortunately, I don't have a list of what works in each type of file. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    Super User III
    Super User III

@JesseW

You always have my back when I don't have all the info. Much appreciated, sir!

Thank you all for the responses. I did check and yes it is set up as .user.ini. And I also spoke at length with Godaddy tech support who says that it’s only .user.ini that can be used in Managed WordPress and php.ini wouldn’t work.

I am not very WordPress savvy and need the training wheels when it comes to it, hence the decision to be on Managed WordPress. Honestly, I only use WP because I am text blogging my life per a therapist homework assignment. So, needing bells and whistles and such that cpanel offers would only complicate things for me at this point since I don’t understand the majority of WP.

Nevertheless, I’m not sure why I get timeouts on my site when I do updates on the plugin Jetpack and am still not convinced it has anything to do with the .user.ini or any settings for that matter. I continue to think it’s the server itself that I’ve been on for six years and how it has been prone to problems even though the server team has said for years there is nothing wrong with it. Or quite possibly it could be the size of the plugin on my specific server doesn’t work well. Either way Godaddy tech support has said it is Jetpack’s fault and Jetpack says it’s Godaddy’s fault. And I’ve been on this merry go round for a few years now.

It’s so frustrating talking to either tech support and not finding any real resolution after all this time.

Regardless, thank you both for your help...