• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

FileZilla will not upload to server - says 'could not start transfer'

Hello,

I can connect to the server fine, and browse through my wordpress site's files, however I can't upload most files.

I have been following the below instructions for replacing wordpress files, and trying to upload them via FTP, but FileZilla gives the reason: Could not start transfer.

I think I recalled FileZilla mentioning, in the log, something about permissions. Can someone advise me on how I change my wordpress permissions to allow its files to be replaced via FTP, or any other advice as to why FileZilla can't transfer files to the server?

Regards,

Adam

How to Reinstall WordPress Core Software Via FTP

If you can’t access your WordPress dashboard because of an error (or just prefer to work over FTP), you can perform a similar process via FTP. You’ll basically be manually duplicating what WordPress would otherwise do for you in the section above.

Here’s the process in a nutshell:

• Download the latest version of WordPress
    • Extract the ZIP file
    • Upload everything except the /wp-content/ folder
    2 REPLIES 2
    Super User III
    Super User III

Re: FileZilla will not upload to server - says 'could not start transfer'

Hey there @adamsimpson,

Typically, logging into FTP can be done like this

Hostname: domain name or IP address

Username: whatever it is

Password: whatever you made it

Port Numer: FTP (21) or sFTP (22)

If the switch in hostname from domain name to IP address doesn't work, you'll need to contact support for assistance.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Re: FileZilla will not upload to server - says 'could not start transfer'

Hi MrVapor,

Logging in is not a problem. Actually, I did have problems connecting to the server from a public library, but as soon as I got home and use my own wi-fi, FileZilla connects fine!

My core wordpress files seem to not allow being replaced via FileZilla. I can upload wordpress through FileZilla to a separate location, as long as I don't attempt to replace the existing wordpress core files/folders that are already there. It looks like a permissions issue.

I may have to contact support as you suggest.

Regards,

Adam