• GoDaddy Community
  • Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

After 'Push staging to production' I can't access my WP Admin on the live site anymore

I'm getting this weird 'Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page.' message, and can not log in into my WP Admin.

The only way to now update the live site, is to make the change on the staging, and pushing it to the live.

The problem with this method is that all live data gathered on the production site (like forms, comments, etc.) will be removed, when I push the staging to the live.

How can I resolve it?

14 REPLIES 14
    New

Cannot Sync staging to production, what is going on?

I cannot Sync staging to production the whole day.,

what is going on?

It has wasted the whole day.

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: After 'Push staging to production' I can't access my WP Admin on the live site anymore

Hi @VideoDubber. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! That's a pretty puzzling situation. I haven't come across this before.  Most of the time, issues with how WordPress performs have to do with a plugin or theme compatibility issue. In researching this online, I saw many suggestions to deactivate all plugins to see if that helps the situation. If you can't get to the dashboard, you can disable plugins by accessing your account via SFTP and renaming the Plugins directory within /wp-content. I'd suggest giving that a try and getting in touch with support if it doesn't help. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Re: After 'Push staging to production' I can't access my WP Admin on the live site anymore

Thanks JesseW

I'm already running at minimum plugins.

In general I don't think it's an issue of plugins, as the same plugins worked on the production before I pushed it to staging (& modified it) and back to production.

The WP editor works fine on the staging.

I think it's something related to the dependability on staging.

After I log in into the site's admin, I get into the homepage (instead of the dashboard) and the header looks like the attached image:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1eGJW7UJ1M_MFM5bk44alNKUEk/view?usp=sharing

WP after log in

Clicking on the dashboard reloads the homepage with the same header....

There's no support in my country, and nothing can be done unless I call the US... Frustrating.

I am having the exact same issue. Pushed a staging site to production using the "Sync" options and selecting "overwrite."

The site now displays fine on the primary domain, but I can't access the dashboard. When I go to my wp-login.php page and enter my credentials it just sends me to the homepage of the primary domain. If I try to click the green "WP Admin" box through the "My Hosting" page on godaddy, I get the "Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page" error.

I disabled all plugins via phpMyAdmin. Still no luck.

I am still able to log in to the staging site perfectly fine.

Spent an hour on chat, but they didn't come up with anything.

Highlighted

Did you get this resolved as i've had the same issue? Had to revert back to my previous live site 

Hi Publicart,

How did you resolve this issue as I'm having same?

Thanks,

Just encountered this issue. Staging site works just fine. Push and overwrite to production and I cannot access the backend admin panel. I get the WP admin bar on the top of the front end but it has limited options. It gives me the "Howdy, Admin" with avatar and the Website Wordpress link but none of the other links in the admin bar. When I try to click into the admin or /wp-admin/ it just sends me back to the front end. I also notice that the SSL URL bar is giving me an "i" instead of a lock so something is broken with that too.

Smiley Sad  Seriously! The whole point of this service is to perform a clean migration (pushing to prod was also terribly slow). I tried to disable a few plugins via FTP but this did not help. I am disappointed that this occurs and that there is not a better response to this reoccurring issue from a number of users.

I am having the same issue. Any resolution for you?

I was able to fix this. In my instant anyway, when pushed from staging to production there were some staging database prefix values untouched. Check your config file for both environments to verify correct prefix. In phpMyAdmin, in the usermeta table check that the correct prefix value is there for wp_capabilities and wp_user_level. Then do a search on the whole database to make sure. 

To clarify, the push had carried over values in the usermeta table for the staging prefix which was different than the production prefix.  When I updated those values I was able to view the dashboard.

Yep... that was about the way I did it. Although I also deactivated a bunch of plugins as well so it hard to isolate. I went into phpmyadmin and found duplicate and funny looking tables and deleted them. I saw that there were some redundant user tables which were probably the culprits. I check wp-config.php file before I made any rash decision to confirm which table prefix was actually in use prior to making any deletions. I also backed up my site prior to this.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    I did all of the above, plus I found the staging site prefix in the 'wp_options' table, 'option_name' column. I had to change STAGING-PREFIX_user_roles to PROD-PREFIX_user_roles. I also cleared out the session_tokens for my user_id in usermeta.

Once I fixed the prefixes in the usermeta and wp_options tables and removed the data in session_tokens for my user_id I was able to login to the dashboard.

Hi guys

could you please provide me some detailed explanation on how to fix this?

I spent 30 minutes with support and they state it is not a Godaddy issue, but rather a content issue. Interestingly because the Sync functionality is provided by them which breaks the production site.

I looked at the DB tables and indeed could see funny tables such as:

wp_4htp5tqbb4_usermeta

And also the one I believe is correct:

wp_usermeta

I changed the values:

wp_XXXXX_capabilities

wp_XXXXX_user_level

to

wp_capabilities

wp_user_level

based on the wp-config.php which sets the DB prefix to (wp_)

However I still cannot access wp-admin on the production site.

Any pointers are really appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards,

Fabio

Solution

For me I needed the delete the strange looking tables and keep the standard ones. I think this was result of the GoDaddy automated migration of the site from an old Linux server to hosted WP. 

So delete: wp_4htp5tqbb4_usermeta

And keep: wp_usermeta

Just double check using phpmyadmin that those odd tables have little to no relevant data in them before deleting. Hope this helps.

Their script is moving and renaming the tables with the table prefix value from the production wp-config.php but it fails to update values inside the tables where the prefix is also used.

Is your production table prefix the default 'wp_' ?
    Check the wp_options table and look for (in your example) wp_XXXXX_user_roles - it's in the 'option_name' column, and change it to wp_user_roles. 

wp_roles.png