cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Session_start error after hosting IP was changed

Hello Community,

The hosting IP of my domain was changed without warning by GoDaddy yesterday. While the domains are working ok due to the A records being changed, I am getting a session_start error when I log on to my PHP application :

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/home/content/31/4485731/tmp/sess_ei7p57plchlil9esqgb3itcqs7, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /home/content/31/4485731/html/utils/Utils.php on line 457

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/31/4485731/html/utils/Utils.php:457) in /home/content/31/4485731/html/utils/Utils.php on line 457

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/content/31/4485731/html/utils/Utils.php:457) in /home/content/31/4485731/html/utils/Utils.php on line 457

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/31/4485731/html/utils/Utils.php:457) in /home/content/31/4485731/html/utils/Utils.php on line 505

Warning: Unknown: open(/home/content/31/4485731/tmp/sess_ei7p57plchlil9esqgb3itcqs7, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct () in Unknown on line 0

This happened on the day of the host ip update. Some users can log in ok, some users cant. Any way to fix this? Thanks.

Regards, 

Trust.

19 REPLIES 19
Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: Session_start error after hosting IP was changed

Hi @Trust, welcome to the community! 🙂

I assume you are in a managed WP plan, right?

Can you login through SSH?

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo 🙂
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution 😄
New

Thanks JPablo. I have a Domain with GoDaddy and Economy Web Hosting Linux. 

I can WinSCP fine to my new host IP. All my website files and PHP files are there.

I can see the php.ini file too.

I have never tried before to SSH to my host IP. When I try now using putty with the same username and password to the new host IP, it closes the window, I cant see the error message. I presume I dont have SSH access to the server. I cant see anything like that in the manage page on GoDaddy.

Helper VI
Helper VI

@Trust do you mind sending me the file? You can upload it as zip to a sharing file service and send me the link via private message, so I can take a look?

EDIT: the Utils.php file

New

Sure. Its a small file so here it is. Please note the same file was working since 2009 and hasnt been changed since then. If you do ask to change it to put in some commands, also let me know how to effect that change i.e. how do the PHP programs register the change of the php.ini file, since I cannot control the actual php program on the server.

php.ini file:

------------------------------------------

register_globals = off
allow_url_fopen = off

expose_php = Off
max_input_time = 60
variables_order = "EGPCS"
extension_dir = ./
upload_tmp_dir = /tmp
precision = 12
SMTP = relay-hosting.secureserver.net
url_rewriter.tags = "a=href,area=href,frame=src,input=src,form=,fieldset="

[Zend]
zend_extension=/usr/local/zo/ZendExtensionManager.so
zend_extension=/usr/local/zo/4_3/ZendOptimizer.so

---------------------------------------------------------

Helper VI
Helper VI

Hi @Trust, I meant the Utils.php file, since it seems to be a problem with the session_start() in that file.

That should be a larger file, you can zip it and send me a link via private message, so I can take a look and see if I can fix it 🙂

New

Here is the part of the Utils.php file that calls session_start:

// Start session
session_start();
if (!isset($_SESSION["MemID"])){
session_register("MemID");
}
$_SESSION["MemID"] = $MemID;

// print 'Member ID'.$MemID."\n";
// print 'Session MEmberid ='.$_SESSION["MemID"]."\n";
// print "session id is:".session_id()."\n";
// if (session_is_registered("MemID")){
// print "Yes session registered\n";
// }else{
// print "No session is not registered\n";
// }

Helper VI
Helper VI

Hi @Trust, thanks for posting the contents. 🙂

However, in order to check the file, I need to see it completely, because a common error regarding session_start() is to have empty lines outside PHP code or any other HTML content, as you can see here and here.

If you don't feel comfortable sharing the file, that's ok, you can try an automated way to remove empty lines, like this one.

Hope it helps!

New

Thanks. I tried the link you gave and it said my file is too big to remove the white spaces. 

I removed some white space manually:

/*
Function: logInOk
Desc: To display approporiate message after the member successfully log in
Input: $Type - Type of members (i.e., member, admin
Output: none
*/
function logInOk($Type,$MemID){
//$DisplayMsg = array();
// Start session
session_start();
if (!isset($_SESSION["MemID"])){
session_register("MemID");
}
$_SESSION["MemID"] = $MemID;

But no, still the same error. My question is, this is not a new PHP program. This is a program that has been working on GoDaddy since 2009. 2 days ago I got an email saying my hosting server IP had changed and after that this error started appearing, So I dont think it is to do with the PHP code, but the issue is with the server move. How can I check with GoDaddy support? There is something wrong with a directory or permission on the new server which is causing this error. How can I raise a support ticket? I cant see any place on the GoDaddy site to raise a support ticket.

New
Solution

Hi JPablo, I managed to get it working via this workaround:

First I created a subdirectory tmpsessions using Winscp, 

Then I changed the Utils.php file to call this command just before the session_start:

ini_set('session.save_path','/home/content/31/4485731/html/tmpsessions');

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

YES!!! I had this same problem. I just changed the path to my particular error path.

Had the same problem!!!! WTF is going ON? Godaddy can u please stop doing this?

Hey.... same problem here.  All of my hosted domains are doing the same thing since the IP was updated on my account without warning. 

Can someone please tell me how to fix this?  Seems very odd that GoDaddy would do this.  I would like to know why it was necessary.

Employee
Employee

Sometimes when you get migrated between servers, the /tmp folder above your webroot is missing. This is where sessions get saved. Hosting support can correct it for you, or if you can enable SSH and connect with SFTP you can create a tmp folder at the same level as your HTML folder to correct.

just spend over an hour on with tech support for this EXACT SAME PROBLEM, even providing this page and a couple of others as an indication of what was happening and what the reported fix was. I went to that effort because I spent over two hours on with them yesterday, only to have a missing path issue be fixed and exposing the session issue.

The end result? They are telling me the issue must be with my PHP code. I have a couple of problems with this: First, we're talking about 3 applications on two different accounts all having the same issues after working for YEARS until they moved me to another server some months back. Second, the error pretty clearly indicates an error with session_start() and file paths (which are not part of my scripting).

I recently started freelancing and came back to my GoDaddy code to use as examples of my work and develop proof of concept and program modules. I had assumed I'd just need to alter some references to point to the new MySQL location and update a my pages somewhat, but a week later, I'm stuck with a non-functioning service.

What this means to me is that after having multiple hosting accounts and domains for well over 10 years with Godaddy, I won't be renewing my products when they expire next month. I have no intention to continue to pay for a service I can't use, especially when I just lost a couple of job opportunities while wasting time and failing to get a once functional site going again.

I'm on a shared hosting plan with GoDad.

Because of that, I don't have access to the root folder for my hosting.  You only get that with a dedicated hosting plan (dedicated server), and I don't like spending money... even though I really need a dedicated server with root folder access, since I am getting more into using PHP.  It costs a little more per year, but I can't recall exact cost.

Anyway, I called tech support, and I believe all they did was create a "tmp" folder at the root level - something I could not do through FTP using Filezilla - since I don't have access to the root.

And I believe that fixed the problem right away, if I recall correctly.  So maybe you just got someone who did not know how to do it.  But I think that is all you have to do to correct the sessions problem.  Hope that helped.

Employee
Employee

I'd like to point out that it's possible to fix this without support, even though a support agent should be able to fix this for you.

If you enable SSH in your account, and then use your primary user to connect with sFTP instead of regular FTP in FileZilla on port 22, you'll have access to the folder above HTML. You just have to create a folder named tmp.

And for any hosting agents that get pointed to this thread: Look in approved test scripts for the create tmp script. It's there.

But you can't enable SSH if you are on a shared hosting plan. 

At least I don't think you will have access to the root folder on the server.

You must have a dedicated hosting plan (dedicated server). 

Employee
Employee

You don't need root access to enable SSH, or access the folder above HTML.

Here are the instructions to enable SSH:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/enable-ssh-4942

Thank you, I didn't know that.