• GoCentral | Website Builder

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Changing Template

I would like the change the template for the website I have (or to try another template from scratch), but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this.

There are instructions at: https://uk.godaddy.com/help/changing-a-template-7712, but the "Templates tab" it refers to in step 3 of the first approach doesn't exist, and the "Design Your Pages" click through it refers to in step 4 of the second approach doesn't exist.

Please can someone help with some guidance?

Also, is all of GoDaddy like this, I am new but it seems strange that a website hosting and design company has a website that doesn't work.

Thanks for your help.

20 REPLIES 20
    New

Re: Changing Template

I am having the same issue with this GoCentral builder. It is not very dynamic and more difficult to use than the previous builder. 

I also want to change the theme I have and am unable to do so. Come on GoDaddy!!!!!! 

Employee
    Employee

Please see this thread. In GoCentral, you no longer have to completely start over when changing the look and feel of your site.

https://www.godaddy.com/community/GoCentral-Website-Builder/vNext-woes-and-questions/td-p/35449

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

Thanks for the note and clarifying where your confusion is coming from.  The GoCentral tool has moved away from the concept of static "templates."  Within the tool, you should be able to easily change the layout of each section, the styles/fonts/theming of the entire site, and any imagery you use-- each of those combinations would represent what you would normally think of as a template.

Once you get into the editing side of GoCentral, please try out the various layouts of each section (e.g., the "header," or "About us"), and you'll see what I mean.  If you want to change the stock photos you're exposed to, you should be able to go into your settings and change your industry-- that will trigger an updated set of photos to select from.

We will continue to work on making this more clear for users within GoCentral-- our goal was to keep you from feeling "stuck" in a specific theme.

Changing Template

Hi there folks. I'm curious to know if it is at all possible to change my template and yet keep the pages of my website. I have several hundreds of pages that I am not looking forward to revamping if I have to start from scratch. Thanks!

I am seeing no way to start over and choose a new Business category with new themes and pics.

What you suggest does nothing. I can go to settings and change the business category but nothing happens, no new pics, themes, etc. 

But why can't we customize the themes to add things like sidebars and drop downs? What about java script? What's to prevent our site from looking exactly like every other site that uses GoCentral?

New

Did you ever get a solution to this?  Thanks!

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @mishi@gracelr@cg99@DomainSeller@MichaelMather,

Just wanted to let you know that our GoCentral team will be answering questions tomorrow, Tuesday, July 20th in our GoCentral "AMA" Ask me Anything between 11-12 pm PT in this thread https://www.godaddy.com/community/GoCentral-Website-Builder/quot-AMA-quot-With-GoCentral-Team-On-quo.... If you can't join, please feel free to post a question beforehand for them to answer. Thanks!

Rachel

Okay, I've gone into editing and can't find what I need. I want a more 'traditional' menu bar, instead of having the menu bar below and in big boxes, I can't find how to do this. I've already got a website with Godaddy that used the version 7 builder, it worked well. Hasn't Godaddy heard the saying "if it aint broke, don't fix it." Godaddy needs to produce a video showing how to build your website with this completely different builder.

Exactly, that's what it looks like to me as well. You can only now set small variations on the one theme.

Change design template but keep colours ect?

I want to change the layout of my site but want to keep the colour scheme. Is this possible?

New

Site settings / Site Profile / Business Category

As I'm exploring it... I'm not too stoked with it. I created my website from scratch using the old builder and using my own images. The builder had its quirks, but I worked around them and was able to 100% customize my site to my liking. I'm having an extremely difficult time doing that now (with 8 templates? I don't want a template!!! Let me build from scratch!), and even worse... it's not even on my site. My friend just paid me to update his site and your stupid "hosting" option conned me into buying a nonrefundable garbage cPanel account as I thought maybe that was the old builder. I'm not pleased that I just wasted his money on that, and that I can't even use the features that I once used to create a pretty cool website. Thus far, I'm very disappointed. I'll keep giving it a go, but if it continues to be so limiting there's a high probability you'll lose both myself and my friend as future customers. Well, I'm off to keep trying, I guess!

Helper II

"My friend just paid me to update his site and your stupid "hosting" option conned me into buying a nonrefundable garbage cPanel account as I thought maybe that was the old builder."

Help me understand this sentence because it doesn't make sense.  What does your friend's payment have to do with your choice of buying  a "cPanel account." ?

Yes it is annoying. I have 5 websites on the earlier version, and keeping them on the same template as a brand was important. I want two more sites and now the templates have vanished. I'm going over to Wix as customers have full access to hundreds of templates rather than 8 - as GoDaddy used to have.

Wix is a good choice, I still have my Godaddy site that used builder 7 (from before Godaddy wrecked their system by replacing sitebuilder 7 with Gocentral) but when I built a new site last year I went to Wix and I'm pleased with it.

I would like my template to look like the free godaddy URL one that is listed in my products as that is what I have been working on without realising that it isn't being changed on my actual domain

New

There is no way to do it, other than calling GoDaddy and having them DELETE AND REPURCHASE THE WHOLE SITE. I just had to do it. Why in the world won't they let you go back and pick a different industry? Massage/Massage Therapy/Spa/Day Spa....they all had a different look/feel that I could not create by eyeballing it and choosing individual layouts on my own. They need to change this functionality.

“What stands in the way becomes the way.”

@hadley had this problem too, was just told "all the industry templates are just mixes of all the available layouts in different orders" and it wasn't worth it to change it from "blog" to something else. After they reset it, would you agree that this is true or not?

I find it very disappointing also. You can’t position pictures where you want them. You can’t even use colored text. The table feature is gone altogether. Running a sports league we need it for standings and without being able to import tables it’s practically useless.