cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

What happens with emails when moving a domain between GoDaddy accounts?

Ok so my question has to do with emails when transferring a domain from one host (GoDaddy) to another host (GoDaddy). I do not want to mess up any emails or make them have any downtime.

The GoDaddy account where the domain is currently hosted also has Workspace Email, Calendar, and Online Storage. I want these services to continue on this account while migrating the domain to my hosting server. How can I achieve this and guarantee that there will be no disruption with the email services?

Thanks,

Jack

6 REPLIES 6
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: What happens with emails when moving a domain between GoDaddy accounts?

Hey @jackp317,

I'm a bit confused as to why you are trying to do this or perhaps what you are trying to accomplish?

So you have a domain domian2transfer.com hosted on GoDaddy account 1 and email addresses email@domain2transfer.com (or whatever addresses you use) WorkSpace Email on GoDaddy account 1 Now you want to take domain2transfer.com and host it on GoDaddy account 2 but keep the associated email with GoDaddy account 1?

I usually advise that the domain purchase and email purchase be on the same account. Since your WorkSpace Email is on your current GoDaddy account then your domain purchase should be there as well. For the hosting you can host wherever you want BUT you do not need to perform a domain transfer to point your domain to a different hosting. If your domain was transferred to another GoDaddy account (in theory) your email settings could be changed.

Now there are reasons why you would transfer out a domain so do so if needed but I can tell you that when transferring a domain email could be interrupted. The best advice I could offer would be to backup all email accounts in case they need to be restored. Then backup all of the email accounts in case something goes wrong. Note that there might be an interruption while you are transferring so make sure you have all of your codes set and access to the associated email addresses. It probably goes without saying but if your email account is on the domain you are transferring you might not have any access?

Don't forget to backup any email messages you might need. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rd@jackp317,

You have either touch typing skills or a lot more patience than me @rd because my thoughts stopped at "What??........."

sorry lol !!

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

I tell people all the time @Anonymous</a>, man use to be hunter/gatherers. I am not that evolved as a typist but I fulfill my ancient man instinct by hunting letters on my keyboard. I am probably the worst typing want-to-be coder I know? It seems to work out though? The scary part is I'm a bit more long winded than my typing skills allow me to document.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Hello,

Just want to ask. If I will transfer my domain to WIX , is my emails subscription to go daddy stopped? I have a 3 years with my email in go daddy and i don't want to throw that away

Solution

Hi @mihlanda

Yes, it's possible that your email will be affected by your move to WIX if they change the nameservers... but not for long. Before you transfer, you can check your DNS on the domains and note the MX records and CName record. Then ask WIX to help you update the settings on the DNS there to retain your email service with us. You did not say what type of email you had paid for, but these articles may help you out:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/how-do-i-retrieve-my-email-messages-if-i-manage-my-dns-elsewhere-340?

https://www.godaddy.com/help/set-my-mail-destination-for-domains-in-another-account-16441?

TLH

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

It’s easier to find the cname record for your wix domain and use GoDaddy nameservers, the ip is just like a forwarding IP, lmk if I can help