cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

godaddy's valuation of country tlds

I know that .com domains are more valuable than country specifics tdls in general, but Godaddy automatically gives much lower values (even less than $100) to my .co.uk with the same names as my .coms that it has valued at ($1,000+). Seeing as some major markets are important in most of the larger economies (u.k is still in the top ten economies) I would have thought those domains should still have decent values.

Then when I look at the auction page itself I see no .co.uk domains listed. Is this because GoDaddy is more America-centric. Should I be listing my .co.uk domains on a different auction site, and/or promoting my domains in other ways? - Half of my domains are .co.uk (uk market is my target market).

Advice and views much apreciated (newbie here) thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User II
Super User II

Re: godaddy's valuation of country tlds

@DanDay wrote:

I know that .com domains are more valuable than country specifics tdls in general, but Godaddy automatically gives much lower values (even less than $100) to my .co.uk with the same names as my .coms that it has valued at ($1,000+). Seeing as some major markets are important in most of the larger economies (u.k is still in the top ten economies) I would have thought those domains should still have decent values.

Then when I look at the auction page itself I see no .co.uk domains listed. Is this because GoDaddy is more America-centric. Should I be listing my .co.uk domains on a different auction site, and/or promoting my domains in other ways? - Half of my domains are .co.uk (uk market is my target market).

Advice and views much apreciated (newbie here) thanks.

@DanDay I wouldn't give much weight to Godaddy's automated valuation or any automated valuation for that matter. I've sold domains for xx,xxx that people told me were worth xxx, a domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

--

New

Thank you Godfrey. That opens up more more questions than it answers lol. So i hope you don't mind if I ask a few seeing as you obviously know what you are talking about. I am actually very excited about this whole thing. I just decided last night to take the plunge into this business and bought myself about twenty more domains to add to the forty I had.

My original forty were not really with trading in mind but for the projects I was doing, and of course you end up having to buy more than you need in order to protect the ones you do.

Despite your point the valuations were still useful for a newbie because I started learninng immediately from them anyway. I am gratified to find that my new ones are worth a lot more than my originals, so I am confident that I have a good eye for a good domain name.

I will dwell on what you have said, thanks.Happy New Year!

Super User II
Super User II
Solution

@DanDay wrote:

Thank you Godfrey. That opens up more more questions than it answers lol. So i hope you don't mind if I ask a few seeing as you obviously know what you are talking about. I am actually very excited about this whole thing. I just decided last night to take the plunge into this business and bought myself about twenty more domains to add to the forty I had.

My original forty were not really with trading in mind but for the projects I was doing, and of course you end up having to buy more than you need in order to protect the ones you do.

Despite your point the valuations were still useful for a newbie because I started learninng immediately from them anyway. I am gratified to find that my new ones are worth a lot more than my originals, so I am confident that I have a good eye for a good domain name.

I will dwell on what you have said, thanks.Happy New Year!

@DanDay base YOUR valuation and prices on prior sales, those are one of the best indicators. Keep your eyes on sites such as http://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm (updates every weekly with reported sales from the prior week) and https://namebio.com/@ which lists sales from many public marketplaces and auctions. I would recommend sticking to .coms, especially if you're just starting out, gltds are a tough sell. Try exploring the expired domain name auctions at Godaddy, I do this every day and buy some really nice names that flip almost daily for a large profit. Make sure to @ my username otherwise I am not notified of your response. 

---